VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

what should my temp gauge read???

lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

what should my temp gauge read??? Empty what should my temp gauge read???

Post by lectricman Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Took the econo on about a 30-35 mile trip this evening and was wondering where the needle should read on my cluster.... I have stock gauges with a stock 170ci inline six... it is a three on the tree if that makes a difference... once hot my needle was at about half way but on one occasion it did go up to about 3/4... I do not have the belly pan on yet, wanted to make sure I had no leaks... I do have a couple to fix.. minor ones... heater core.. I have another one... and the oil pan needs tightened...I still have roller tires on her and she wen't down the interstate at 65 just cruising... I LOVE IT!!!!! I am really looking forward to racking up some time behind the wheel... just thought I'd ask about the temperature... input is greatly appreciated... thanks Cool
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

what should my temp gauge read??? Empty Re: what should my temp gauge read???

Post by donivan65 Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:19 pm

I surely would not depend on that old sender and gauge,,,,,,it can be lying to you,,,,,,,I like these temperature caps to see how the dash gauge compares,,,,,,,

what should my temp gauge read??? Rad_te10
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:12 am

I have never seen anything like that... where will I find those at to purchase one???? thanks....( I have a new sender, just the old gauge....)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:03 am

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

I use them also, and you can even get one at your local grocery store, hdw store, etc. They are the RELIABLE way to check them. I think also, there are different temp sending units that Ford had available, one READING hotter than the other. You didn't give any history that I can read, how many cores?? how clean is the system, how old or have you looked at the impeller on the pump, how does it run as far as timing and carb adjustment goes?? if too far advanced, and running lean, it will DEFINITELY make it run hotter. As far as the belly pan goes, I sell them as I personally don't like running them. In my opinion they are only a band-aid for not having a shroud on the radiator. (it only helps at speed, and the problem issue with ours is at idle or in traffic) as well as do you have the four bladed fan or the six bladed fan???? I suspect the gauge is reading correctly and you are really running on the hot side??? but lets hope its as easy as your sending gauge, and perhaps also the gauge?? I have gauges in stock, may even have an NOS one left,, dont know. Check and confirm the correct temp with the cooking gauge first, then we can pursue the rest if a problem???
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:59 am