VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Carburetor Float Renewal

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Carburetor Float Renewal Empty Carburetor Float Renewal

Post by sasktrini Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Has anybody come across this...

Vintage engine seems to have fuel issues, and so carb rebuild is the selected remedy... can't source a float?

That is my recent experience with a couple Ford 1100 and 1101 1bbl carbs I have just had... the 1100 for my 62 Mercury Econoline with a 170 I6 and 3-on-the-tree, the 1101 for my 65 Ford Econoline Supervan with a 240 I6 and C4 automatic.

Doing a little research and chatting with a couple friends, I have learned that floats can be renewed... the ones in my carbs are not the brass, but the foam covered with the rubber(?) stuff... someone else told me what this stuff is on the FordSix forum... anyway...

1) allow the fuel to evaporate from the float
    2) dip the float in gas tank sealer or some other sealant / adhesive that's fuel-resistant, past the joint where the arm enters the float
    3) allow to cure for 72 hours

One carb restorer (can't remember the source) uses POR-15, and has carbs that provided in excess of a year's reliable service... I can't see it only lasting a year, but the proof is in the putting I guess. Other products are something from the "GOOP" family of adhesives, or another one named "Kwik-Seal" (?) that have the consistency of water?? Those ones would apply with a cotton swab or something...

I believe I'm going to go the POR-15 route very soon. Hopefully next week, I should be able to report on the effectiveness of this repair, as my van is currently out of commission. Going to try to get some carb paint (Eastwood or Duplicolor, depending on what I can find up here).

Has anyone here done this before? Anyone hope to try it if I succeed? Anyone have any tips to offer?

Carburetor Float Renewal Empty Re: Carburetor Float Renewal

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:47 pm

I have an Autolite 1100 carb that was rebuilt awhile back. I will not be using it if you need it. $75.00 plus shipping. I never put it on my van so it has just been sitting.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:57 am

Right now Mike, I have to try to do everything as close to free... I have three carbs sitting here. Unfortunately, only my 1101 has the anti-stall dashpot for the auto trans... my 1100 and Holley 1904 are for standards. Still, I have my rebuild kit and a quart of POR-15... I'm already in to it. My tune may change by next week if I still can't drive my van...

Here's my latest from tonight...

Floats from my Ford 1100 & 1101, and Holley 1904. The 1100 was ful of skunky gas and crud, and it coated half of the float. The 1101 was pretty clean. Holley one was too. All had some wear marks (coating wearing away).

Carburetor Float Renewal IMG_0488

I gave them all a light scuff with sandpaper and quick wash in carb cleaner. Now they are hanging out to dry!

Carburetor Float Renewal IMG_0489
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:02 am

Mods, can you move this to "This is How it's Done"? My badness! Thanks.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:52 am

Carburetor Float Renewal IMG_0500

It was kinda tricky dipping the floats in POR15, well because they want to float!

It might look like a lot, but this float got dipped in grey POR15 a total of six times... it has a drip formed on the corner that was hanging lowest, instead of dripping off like normal paint would. But the coat is thin enough to still see the black float through the grey paint. Nothing to do but test it now. It's sealed and buoyant, and hopefully will work fine... will let you know the results.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:35 am