VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Help locating a part

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Help locating a part - Page 2 Empty Re: Help locating a part

Post by Digz Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:09 pm

sure a picture is worth a hundred posts ,,LOL

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Help locating a part - Page 2 Img_1614

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:28 pm

At least thats what I think I hear click on when I hit the peddle. The fuse box is right behind it (under my hand) so it might be a different relay clicking there. Im 90% sure that what I am pointing at in the picture is what clicks when I hit the brakes.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Okay ,if im reading the schematic right that looks like a single relay which surely could be used in a brake light circuit. The flasher unit on your old fusebox was that small metal can that plugged in. Is there anything like that on your system now? You may have gotten to "modern" for me to dial this in, LOL, but it still seems like you have no power to the turn signals at all..
    Where is Lawton ?

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:06 pm

There is a metal can like relay on the new system. Its plugged into the new fuse box.

Lawton is a little southwest of Kalamazoo by Paw Paw. Although I should update my location; I bought a house in Three Rivers a few months ago.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:52 pm

I need to correct myself after reading again ,, looks like you are powering the turn signal system with the brake, the blue wires? should be for the front blinkers and dash indicators and not be effected by the brake, the black is the ground for the horn, white is from the brake and goes to the turn signal switch
    Purple feeds the turn signal switch from the flasher relay? you should have to have the key on to get power to the purple I think. it seems to me that having power to the blue with the brake on would mean the brake is wired into the haness wrong all this could mean the turn siganl switch in the column is bad also, but seeing as it worked before the redo Im still leaning towards a simple wire misplacement. also if anybody sees where I am wrong please correct me !! Im much better at this staring at it than thinkin about it, thats why I asked how far away ya were. 125 miles maybe , think coldwater is that far.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:26 pm

All of this was done with the key on. So if your right the purple should have worked.

Last edited by JC on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:10 am

If there is a problem with the hazard lights, the turn signals and brake lights won't work right,,,,,,so,,,,,,press the red Hazard button to check them,,,,

Help locating a part - Page 2 Workin16

Post by Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 am

I wondered if that was it. I saw a spot for that on my steering column but its broken off. I will see if I can still press whats left of it I guess...

Post by Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:36 am

my hazard button is broken off inside the column as well, before you try pushing it farther in, find a screw or bolt with threads small enough to take to the inner horseshoe shaped piece of whats left inside - and pull it out. listen for an audible click or look for a change in your lights' behavior..
    Help locating a part - Page 2 Th_IMG_2853

Post by Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the advice copenhagenfiend, the screw worked well.
    Trying to use the hazards did nothing. I tried it key on and key off and nothing happens.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:16 pm

So pull out the flasher and test for power in the fuze box,,,,,one of the terminals in there needs to have 12 volts on it all the time,,,,,if you find a flasher that only has power on one terminal with the key on,,,,,,thats the turn signal one,,,,,so basically with the key on BOTH of those flashers need to have one terminal in the fuse box with 12 volts on them,,,,,if not check the fuse,,,,,,next test,,,,,jump across the 2 flasher terminals in the fuse box with something like a paper clip,,,,,all 4 turn signal and the 2 dash arrows should light up when you turn on the Hazard Lights,,,,,see what get,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 am

My fuse box doesnt have a seperate fuse for each turn signal like you seemed to described. Maybe Im just not reading it right but thats what it sounds like.

Here is my fuse box:
    Help locating a part - Page 2 Fuse_b10

I checked TURN B/U, STOP-HZ, and BRAKE. All of them have power in one terminal. Since things with mine didnt seem to be the same as the system you were explaining I wasnt sure what to do about jumping across anything. Oh I also checked the big metal turn signal relay there on the bottom right corner of the picture. That is getting power too.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:24 am

You definitely got a modern fuse box in there,,,,,and is it hooked up correctly??? But the major thing is the source of the voltage,,,,,some are on all the time and some only come on when the key is on. So in your picture I see the 2 circuits-- TURN BU and STOP HZ. The TURN BU should only have power on it when the key is on. The STOP HZ should have power all the time. And that silver round thing is a FLASHER,,,each one of those 2 circuits should have one. So pull that out,,,,,what kind of power does it have? All the time or just with key on? All it does is blink the lights so you could jump across the terminals in the fuse box there and all lights would come on steady WHEN and IF the Hazard lights work,,,and you check and fix anything wrong. There should be another flasher in that fuse box ,,,,a flasher does not have to be round and silver,,,,it could be square and plastic but they all have 2 or 3 spade terminals sticking out of them like this......but find the flasher that has power to it all the time,,,,,jump across the terminals in the fuse box, THEN turn the Hazard Flasher switch on and see what works,,,,,

Help locating a part - Page 2 Flashh10

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am

There is only one flasher on my fuse box and everything has power the way it is supposed to.

But I found out thats only the way things seem. Everything has power but I dont know where it is coming from. To explain from the beginning I went around rechecking everything and it was good. Then I put the flashers on and nothing seemed to change. But then I hit the brake peddle, for what reason I dont remember. When I hit the brake peddle with the flashers on all the lights on the van light up. So let me go through all I found out yesterday.

Normally when I hit the brakes the rear lights come on and that front right signal comes on as well as the right signal light on the dash. (was this way when I bought the van and everything worked)

Now when I hit the brakes the rear lights work, front signal comes on, but no dash signal.
    When I hit the brakes with the turn signal stalk switched to a direction the rear light on that side of then van doesnt light. If the direction is to the right that front signal goes out with the right rear light.

If I turn the hazards on and hit the brakes both front signals come on and both rear lights come on and the right signal on the dash. That makes me think the left signal dash light just needs to be replaced.

So because of this phenomenon I decided to start pulling fuses to try and get a better idea of what was going on. I removed the flasher relay first and there was no change. I then removed the STOP HZ and there was no change. I removed TURN BU and there was no change. I removed BRAKE and there was no change. The only thing that made the lights go out was removing POWER ACC. So I guess my fuse box was wired incorrectly with everything going to that fuse?

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:29 am

Whenever you loose power to a circuit by a blown fuse or bad flasher, you will get feedback into other circuits,,,,,so thats probably what is happening to you,,,,the Turn and the Hazards are 2 different type circuits and it looks like you got them hooked together,,,,,,,so,,,,,,,,lets do another test,,,,,,separate the 2 power circuits out of that turn signal switch connector,,,,unplug those purple and brown wires out of the connector,,,those are the power to the turn and the Hazards,,,use this picture,,,,send power up to the turn signal switch ,,,,you can use any kind of power and you don't even need a flasher,,,,,you got so much stuff mixed up so we need to start some where,,,,,I like the idea of just getting the hazards working for a start,,,,so powering up that brown wire going up into the turn signal switch should cause all the dash and outside turn signal lights come on WHEN you turn on the hazard light switch IF everything is working,,,,,so try it,,,,,,

Help locating a part - Page 2 Turnzz10

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:56 am

So you actually want me to pull those wires out of the plastic connector under the dash?

I dont have a soldering iron so can I just unplug the connector to do this?
    Or am I misunderstanding something?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I just want you to get those 2 wires that go up into the turn signal switch disconnected from that fuse box,,,,,cutting them is one way,,,,but there should be a connector with a bunch of wires like above the brake pedal if they did not take it out. that connector has 2 parts,,,,,wires FROM the fuse box and wires UP TO the turn signal switch. Those wires come out of there if you push a paper clip or sewing needle inside each terminal from where the terminals meet each other,,,,,the wires are made to be pulled out of the connector once you push the locking tab down holding them inside that plastic connector. I just want to start simple,,,,,get power to the hazard lights and not just splice into it and have the power also going back down into the fuse box. I want to get away from that fuse box,,,, it is complicating the situation. And where did the flasher go to? If you unplug the connector you also unplug the other circuits, so you cant test them,,,,,or find that brown wire and cut it somewhere you won't see the splice when you put it back together,,,,,like near the fuse box,,,,,I just want you get that Brown wire away from the fuse box,,,,so you can power it up where it goes up to the turn signal switch,,,,,then you have a starting point to start finding and fixing all the other problems you have,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:05 am