VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Irratic speedo

Irratic speedo Empty Irratic speedo

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:15 pm

I've got a 69 A108 with a "jumpy" speedo . I have tried White Lithium grease which normally works. Any ideas??? Thanks

Irratic speedo Empty Re: Irratic speedo

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:50 pm

The speedo head itself could be bad. Did you try removing the cable itself from the sheathing and cleaning it?
    terencejiminy
    terencejiminy

Number of posts : 62
    Registration date : 2008-09-08

Post by terencejiminy Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:26 am

gutter1 wrote:I've got a 69 A108 with a "jumpy" speedo . I have tried White Lithium grease which normally works. Any ideas??? Thanks

An issue with these spinning magnet and cup speedos has been when that U shaped thingy's brass bushing wears out and the thingy actually touches the cup attached to the needle. Makes it jump a lot the slower you are going.
    When this happens the head must be replaced. This is a long, too many times, overlooked issue. Lubing the mechanism with Aero-Croil , WD-40 or Blaster keeps this smooth and avoids wearing the brass bushing out. You'll notice a small brass freeze plug looking cap near where the cable attaches. A little hole put in there gives you access to that shaft for lubing. Idea
    I'm sure there are still a few out in the salvage yards too. Look for 60's D-100/200/300s. Early 70's and older Motorhomes that had the Dash shifter and A - D series instrument cluster. Easy to recognize since they had the White Dodge Commander steering wheel. Very Happy
    If you find one pretty much intact the turn signal switch is the same too - if its Cancel Cam hasnt broken yet. Neutral
    Terry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 pm