VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Will a truck steering colunm fit a van

redsockss
    redsockss

Number of posts : 123
    Registration date : 2010-06-03

Will a truck steering colunm fit a van Empty Will a truck steering colunm fit a van

Post by redsockss Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 am

Will a truck steering colunm fit a van Empty Re: Will a truck steering colunm fit a van

Post by Guest Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm

call or email someone like ididit or flaming river they specialize in columns.
    redsockss
    redsockss

Number of posts : 123
    Registration date : 2010-06-03

Will a truck steering colunm fit a van Empty Re: Will a truck steering colunm fit a van

Post by redsockss Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Heck, you hear so many things. The people on here are brilliant about what will and what will not work.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:50 pm

early chevy van steering columns are part of the steering box,
    they will not interchange with out modifacation.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:54 pm

You get the shaft with those new steering columns,,,,,,the thing is, you already have 2 of them,,,,,,,so you would have to cut the shaft off the steering box and connect the steering column to it,,,,,,,and then there is the shift lever shaft,,,,,,it is part of our steering columns,,,,,so what do you do for shifting? I think if you took the whole column and shift lever assembly out of a 2nd gen, (67-70), it would fit and work on a 1st Gen, (64-66).

Will a truck steering colunm fit a van Pgleve13

Will a truck steering colunm fit a van Pgleve14
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I just got a ididit column , I'm going to have to cut the shaft then put a union on to make the two go together. Ididit has everything you need to do the job
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 pm

And what do you use for a shifter?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:24 am

I'm going to have a floor shifter, I'm looking at the Locar shifts. Very well made and all USA parts

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:56 pm

G-man, what length column did you get from ididit?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 pm

30"
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:07 pm

G-Man wrote:I'm going to have a floor shifter, I'm looking at the Lokar shifts. Very well made and all USA parts

I put a Lokar in my van, it works, but I had to find a 13' cable to run back to the transmission.

The B&M Shifter I bought wouldn't work, it would just bind. When your ready, and if you want to know, I'll look up the one I bought.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 am