VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
savage
G-Man
6 posters

My First Early

My First Early Empty My First Early

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:28 am

My First Early 100_1511
    My First Early 100_1512
    My First Early 100_1513

For starters its a 1965 Chevy with a 283 and three on the tree and a whole lotta touches . In July I got a call from a friend who needed to get rid of an eyesore (or so his city says) and gave me an offer I couldnt refuse so out came a little air compressor and half a bottle of stop juice . I could find reverse and third (never drove a three on the tree) and with alot of abuse to the clutch away I went ! I had been saving some 5 slots for something that deserves it anyway so I just had to get it 'Very Happy' Only bondo is the lower 6 inches and here and there for shaved side handle and pass. door that opened to the headlight (probly removed the stop bracket when the 283 went in?)

Goodies: shaved side handle, prewired for sound, runs well and holds oil & water, top half of body is very nice, has 2 tool boxes already full of some goodies, springs and pads are in nice shape, kingpins are solid, headlights had chrome eyelids!

Shruggies(what were they thinking?): faded yellow I can live with but the bottom color was orange rattlecan 2 yrs ago and is now like salmon, 'tunnel ram' to the radiator was cool in concept bad pretty much a hack job, rear seats are nice captains but light blue, has a moon roof thats caulked shut (but it doesnt leak!), everything from the front seats back is covered in black speakerbox material (looks good but its kinda in the realm of astroturf)

Baddies: not so good bondo work leading to spots of rust around d.s. front wheel well & d.s. rear door bottom, 3 speed & 4.10 gears not so good for rpms and mileage, speedo shows 40 at 60, master brake cylinder leaky and needs brake job, no interior lighting whatsoever, seats, missing bits in the interior, p.s. vent cracked, p.s. window wobbly (front to back), no door seals at all and the doghouse is ready for a new one, fuel sending unit not right (shows full)

Theres lots of other little things but I figured Im new to the site and Ill give my fingers a rest for now .

Great site btw! Very Happy Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

My First Early Empty Re: My First Early

Post by G-Man Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:09 am

Vandal Welcome !!!! First off don't be afraid to ask questions thats why we are here to help each other. All the problems or bad things can be fixed. If you need parts give us your want list or if you have something to sell post it in the parts for sale section.
    Very solid van for living in the north. You'll find your early will be more fun than most cars.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:23 am

Welcome Vandal, Nice looking van, (not to wild about colors ether) But looks solid. What G-man said. Tom

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:43 am

I think you should primer it or flat black rattle can. Other than that it sounds great. You have to expect to workon them, more so the cheap ones.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Welcome. i think she looks pretty good. Half the fun is making it how you want it.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Call me a nut but I kind of dig the color combo. Smile
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:15 am

That'll be very cool!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:09 pm

I have seen much worst colors & color combo's. Anyone seen that pink "A" for sale. pale
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm liking those mirrors and wondering what the headlight rings are off from. Ya got a nice looking rig to work with there.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Digz, I think those are Dodge mirrors. Those rings I'm not sure what those are from , but look good on it. What are those front parking lights from???

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:52 pm

The rings Im not entirely sure about and I think your right G-man about the mirrors - the parking lights are all purpose trailer lights I believe so nothing special there.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:32 am

[/i][/b]Those park lights might not be special lights, but I think they look good on there. I really like those headlight rings and wish we could find out what they are from.[b][i]
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:02 pm

looks to me like vintage vw bug? rings. i cant be sure, the parking lights look like an aftermarket {napa} item.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Ill take a close up pic for yall to see details of them - unfortunatly there are only held in by willpower but it makes for easy headlight adjustment!

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:12 pm

cool van like those eyelids had to do it My First Early 00611
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:46 pm

saw a ww2 vet today with a model A at the gas station,he had the visors over the headlights., he said there aftermarket will fit anything with round bulbs,. they clamp on under the headlight ring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:24 pm