VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
Vanish
Wookee
DanTheVanMan
SteelyVan
Scott
wacko
Digz
donivan65
12 posters

Door Rubber...for the doors

Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

Door Rubber...for the doors - Page 2 Empty Re: Door Rubber...for the doors

Post by Leftcoast65 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Don I sent him an email and he respond that his is on a roll. Not OE formed or molded. I'm think that he has a roll of weatherstripping that he has measured out to fit the door. He did tell me twice that it was not molded. Not sure how it would fit or hold up on the corners.

Are the ones from RS and Steele molded or pre formed?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 am

RS and Steele are pre formed. Did he say if that 105$ was for all 4 cargo doors? This might be something I would try for the gullwing as long as it's in a roll.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am

That's funny about those rivets! I didn't even notice that the backside of them is easily visible!

Yes, the Steele rubber is molded, with corners, etc. I'll post some photos when they are installed (hopefully next week).
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Het -Diggs= i emailed that same guy on ebay & he told me her has 4 different suppliers for those door seals . Personally=Id rather get the formed ones than these were speaking of-steel's the guys i believe . cheers
    Leftcoast65
    Leftcoast65

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-08-27

Post by Leftcoast65 Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Digz wrote:RS and Steele are pre formed. Did he say if that 105$ was for all 4 cargo doors? This might be something I would try for the gullwing as long as it's in a roll.

Yes it is for all 4 cargo doors, but I would email him with the length of the gullwing Digz, as these are pre cut rolls for the doors as I understood him.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks for the heads up !
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:09 am

Here's some info about the Steele Rubber door weatherstripping I've installed. They are preformed and the fit is good. One tip is to dry fit them first, so you get a feel for how much you may need to stretch it as you go when you are gluing them in. You don't want to start at one end and get to the other and find you have too much slack or not enough to make it to the next corner.

Here's one complaint. They reinforce each corner by inserting a solid "L" of rubber. I'd say the corners will never come apart, which is good, but this makes the corner harder to compress than the rest. I'd rather have the entire thing be hollow. As it is, it's hard to close the cargo doors. The top and bottom corners don't want to go all the way in. And the corners don't feel like they're going to "break in" and get softer any time soon.

Door Rubber...for the doors - Page 2 Weathe10

On the cargo doors, the rubber on left-hand one (without the outer door handle) does not go all the way around, as Don pointed out. This is how they came from the factory. But I'd say Steele made this one a little short. It wants to fit as shown in this first photo, but that leaves an opening when the two doors are shut. I can stretch the rubber an extra inch and get it to reach over the door's outer edge. That's how they come stock, right? And the rivet holds the end in place. You'll notice their hole doesn't line up. I guess I'll drill another hole. The rubber will cover the old hole.

Door Rubber...for the doors - Page 2 Weathe11

This way makes for a pretty snug fit when you close the doors, especially with the solid corner on the other door meeting up with this flap on this door. But that's how it's supposed to be, right?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:43 pm