VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
southern man
slimtronn
itruns
G-Man
sasktrini
9 posters

I want this early FARGO I found in town...

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

I want this early FARGO I found in town... - Page 5 Empty Re: I want this early FARGO I found in town...

Post by itruns Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Just thinking ahead on the alternator. I guess I could always put a by-pass switch/circuit breaker or something in if I ever want to draw some serious power off a 120 amp alternator.

My brother-in-law was telling me about that cool show, but I don't think I have the Speed channel on DirectTV. Remember when there were only like 7 channels of crap on the TV to chose from? I do see those guys out there from time to time though. Those trucks are pretty intimidating. I cut glass on the exterior rack (driver's side) of the van all the time, but it's not on the expressway while people are texting, etc. Not a job I'd want.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

I want this early FARGO I found in town... - Page 5 Empty Re: I want this early FARGO I found in town...

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Lots of drama on that show,,,,,,but if you like seeing stuff lifted,,,,,its the place to be,,,,,cars out of houses,,,,,tipped over semi's and bulldozers,,,,stuff stuck in the snow and mud,,,,,loads shifting on trailers and theres always the fresh paving that raises the street that causes the trailers to get stuck under the viaducts,,,,,,
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Ooops... Seen a few too many of those viaducts get nailed in my time.

Saw a gravel trailer tipped over yesterday.

I get see the aftermath of people trying to make stores drive-thru. It's interesting to see the burnout marks of a 90 year old's 70's vintage Delta 98 w/ a 455 that went thru a daycare, through the demising wall and into a barber shop. These seniors think they have it in reverse and punch the gas while the car is pinned against the parking curb.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:38 pm

Now if Ohare Towing gets the call to remove it, it will be on TV,,,,,,Thursday nights,,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:34 pm

just read through the whole thread. great van. great find. not sure what all the electrical stuff means but sure is entertaining. better than reality tv
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:26 pm

If you own a Vintage Van,,,,,,sooner or later the time will come and you will know what we were talking about,,,,trying to fix and keep 40 year old vehicles on the road and maybe making them a little safer, dependable and more comfortable,,,,,
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanx mattvinc! I'm not completely sure about all the electrical stuff either, but I'm learning. I've gotta try to find Wrecks too!

Armed with my crimping tool and a bunch of wire, I've replaced anything crusty, melted, burned, cut... in my wiring harness. I'm hoping that the wiring alone was enough of a reason for the previous owner to abandon this great van! Hopefully I can successfully test the theory tomorrow, although I hoped to make a vid of it... don't have a vid camera though. I've got a gut feeling that the engine and tranny are fine...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:55 pm

itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:40 am

"You drive like old people s$%^w. Slow and sloppy" Welcome to Chicago baby!

Schiller Park, Franklin Park, River Grove, Elmwood Park. Ah the memories...

Thanks Don

Dishnetwork channel 150.
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:02 am

ive got faith that slant 6 will fire right up! before you do dump some mystery oil down the crank and pull spark plugs poor 1 kool-aid scoop of mystery oil down each one. sand the points, and as long as the fuel pumps ok shell fire right up.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:08 am

i'm starting with the disc brake conversion but
    i'm sure i will need to address the electrical at some point and you know i'll be searching the threads for info. the more i read here with you guys the more i learn. its great
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

I want this early FARGO I found in town... - Page 5 Empty Been a year since rescuing the Fargo A100...

Post by sasktrini Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 am

Let's fire this one up again! I recently bypassed the tranny switch to crank the Fargo van... disconnected the coil wire, connected a jumper wire from the "starter relay signal to tranny" terminal to ground... engine cranked about 15 degrees! Battery was dead, but okay... the first sign of life!!!! We grabbed a Park / Neutral switch and pigtail at the boneyard, as his was seized (didn't move in and out as gear selector moved). In the next month or two, I think we'll be driving the Fargo the six blocks to my garage! Not ready to do "first fire" yet, but I'll try to get some footage!

Cheers!

Last edited by sasktrini on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed subject line)
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

I want this early FARGO I found in town... - Page 5 Empty Been a year since rescuing the Fargo A100...

Post by sasktrini Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:31 am

Park / Neutral switch was the last problem preventing us from cranking the engine! It cranked good last night, but no "First Fire" dance yet! Have to put some oil around the piston rings, because it sounded real creaky as it cranked a few revolutions! But the most excellent news is that the engine's not seized!

Last edited by sasktrini on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : subject)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:37 am