VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
southern man
slimtronn
itruns
G-Man
sasktrini
9 posters

I want this early FARGO I found in town...

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

I want this early FARGO I found in town... Empty I want this early FARGO I found in town...

Post by sasktrini Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Guy from work told me about it... being stored (in a big puddle) for someone. But the body only has a couple issues... Waiting for the owner to contact me so I can save it! I know... my early Ford is barely working, and I need another early? Well, DUH!

I want this early FARGO I found in town... P8180008

I want this early FARGO I found in town... Empty Re: I want this early FARGO I found in town...

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:35 am

Hope you get it Corey!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

I want this early FARGO I found in town... Empty Re: I want this early FARGO I found in town...

Post by G-Man Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Good Luck!!! I hope you get it too....
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Corey: Part of me says "Boy, I sure hope he can snag it". The part of me that just got out from under my parts van screams "Run for zee hills, there's nothing but rust and parts over there".

Either way - Good Luck - Larry
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:14 pm

lol! well, IF I can get it and the body's worse than I thought, I'm sure I could get my investment back parting it out... but the body looks not bad!

itruns wrote:Corey: Part of me says "Boy, I sure hope he can snag it". The part of me that just got out from under my parts van screams "Run for zee hills, there's nothing but rust and parts over there".

Either way - Good Luck - Larry
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:18 pm

FREE??? Maybe!

An update... Checked with three companies (land owners and companies who are storing equipment on the land)... they deem the Fargo to be abandoned or that no one has claimed ownership of it! I guess my next move is to try to get a vin off of it (need galoshes for that job, and maybe a locksmith), and run it through the registry to claim ownership...
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Free !!! Hope that's the case.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:12 am

I cleared what I think is the toughest hurdle... my GF is okay with me bringing it home! Very Happy Second step is the registry to check the vin. Where is the vin going to be?

The "free" thing is due to the fact that the van has been left at this company for so long without storage fees, that they could say it's a nuisance or that by default they own the van.

I get a sense that no one involved wants it (except me)! I know there'd be a bit of commotion if we were all here! I think I'm going to see if there's a chance of finding the vin and checking with the registry today, but I don't know if that business is open. I'm off friday, so it may still take a little time for this story to unfold.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Thats for sure!!! If we all lived by you there would be more than one after it. LOL
    slimtronn
    slimtronn

Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-09-05

Post by slimtronn Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:38 pm

The vin tag SHOULD be on top of the wheel well when u open the door. You cant miss it! Good Luck! Hope you get it!
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:43 pm

VIN and Data plates on my Dodge A100 are on top of the fender when open the driver's door.

Other A people should be able to get you the info as to where the alternate identification areas are. Vanishingbreed's posts show the issues you can have getting your new friend past the DMV.

Good Luck - Larry
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Hey slimtronn:

Welcome to the site. How long have you had the A108?

- Larry
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Welcome slimtronn!!! Give us some more pictures of your "A"
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks slimtronn, and welcome!

Yeah, did some checking, and I do have to reflect on Mike's experience with the Sheriff. Plan on consulting one of my soccer buddies who's on the local force before I go too far (does it count as B&E if the van wasn't locked?)

The data plate was right where you said Laughing Chrysler Corp in Detroit, but it's got a weird SN that doesn't match any VIN Decoders I've found... So I still don't know what year it is. Registry wouldn't tell me anything, but it seems it was parked there in 1997.

Model A100, SN A1A2S88###, TCN NO 19091017

225 Slant Six, 3spd Auto (CHRY A727), Rear Axle 39 CHRY RF30

I've got more pics.

Not sure if "Hundred Acre Woods" was a campground or a band, but there's an old guitar case in there.
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060001

Drivers side rocker is gone, but inner looks okay. Wheelwell and step is at least there.
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060003
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060004

Front is nice. Body was white, but rattle canned flat black.
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060005

Rear rollpan is gone all the way under the filler neck
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060019

Dash is pretty beaten up, but any clue what year this is? Shifter in the dash!
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060006

The 225 Slant Six
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... PIC00012

Inside, corner by filler neck is solid!
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... PIC00017

A bunch of seats are in there, but it looks like a pair of Centrelines are hiding... am I right? Can't really see the pics on my screen.
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060016
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060014

The big question now is figuring out who owns this van... the company who owns the land where it was left, or the actual owner. If it's the company, then I'll get it for free (well, maybe some kind gesture in return). If not, maybe I'll find the guy and he won't care (hasn't seemed to care for 11 years).

Could be an interesting week to come! I think the Fargo is in better shape than my Ford bodywise. Wish me luck!
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:41 pm

I confess I haven't seen one of these before, but what is the Fargo name on the front? Was it for another Chrysler division?
    itruns
    itruns

Post by itruns Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Corey:

My '66 Dodge and has two plates, a small one that has the VIN # (3 digits + 7 digits) and the other with the build info. I know (hopefully) yours is a latter model due to the switch locations and the padded dash wing (maybe a '69). I thought the vin should start with "20" because it's a window van.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-218.html has a whole lot of info, but I haven't seen any posting recently. Should keep you busy reading over the rest of the weekend.

Anything is salvageable, but from the looks of it I would part it out use the funds to buy something with a decent body or save it for parts the next Fargo/Dodge project.

Save those bumpers, pie tin headlight bezels, back-up lights and especially the back seats as well as the fronts (which racers love). The trans tail-shaft may also be in 'short' supply. Can't find good gas tanks anymore.

I got my parts van in drivable if not road-worthy condition. Loved working on it when things were slow, but at the end of the day I have a van too far gone to invest in making a decent driver. It did however provide a me with something I wasn't afraid to screw-up and learn on for when I have to work on my good van.

Southernman: Fargo is/was Chrysler's Canadian branding.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Fargo was an old truck company division for Dodge in the 30s-50s (?). Canadian Dodge A100s picked up the Fargo name under Chrysler's banner... kind of reused the name they already had copyrighted to apply to Canadian Chrysler trucks. Similar to Ford and Mercury.

They are rare... there are a couple nice restos in Ontario Canada, and I think one in Michigan. I doubt that many people realize their potential value outside the vanner world.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Get it man!! It's worth getting!

Last edited by enbro on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:10 am

its done more than you think.....
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:59 am

ENBRO!!! Good to see ya man! Yeah, you finally were able to "wade into" my new idea... you're story drove my interest up in the Mopars!

Here's the latest... I actually found the guy. Local musician and vanner that says he towed the Fargo in there about a year ago (engine was bad), and said "Make me an offer..." so right now, I'm trying to figure out where I'll start. I'm thinking the van for free, but the keys and registration for $50... no joke. I see the Fargo needing attention and reconditioning in every aspect... he's damaged the rolling stock by leaving it submerged in water. It will take a lot for me to bring this back to health, plus now I know the engine had issues. I'm going to try to talk to him today... wish me luck!

Oh, and itruns... thanks for all the advice... I haven't been able to look closer at the details in Dodgetalks, but the info is great! I'm scared to turn this into a parts vehicle, as it's complete and of the rarer Fargo brand. May not stumble across too many more of these. I've also kinda decided that any effort I put in to restoring this or my Econoline, I'll lose money if I try to sell... vans just don't command the high dollar sales the way vintage muscle does. Just gotta spend my money for my own happiness!

After reading Nate's comment in the Mystery Machine Engine Swap thread, I think the Fargo is a 69 or 70, duo to two doghouse latches... sound right?
    I want this early FARGO I found in town... P9060011

Last edited by sasktrini on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : reply to itruns)
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:04 am

I'm really rooting for you on this one, Once you get it it may not be as bad as you think it might be
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 am

sasktrini, I have been following this thread since you started it and I too am rooting for you that you get your hands on this Fargo. Before I bought my pickup I had seen a van not too far from where I lived. I went around and looked at it and it was in pretty rough shape, but none the less could be used for parts or if someone was really serious it could be restored. I went and talked to the guy who owned it and he told me the typical thing "I am gonna restore it one day". How many times have we heard that one. I offered him a few hundred bucks but he turned it down and said that he was serious about restoring it. Anyway the truck sat in the same spot until around 2002 when it dissappeared. I figured it was finally going to get the attention it needed! I was up in a junk yard not long after that to find that van stripped and what was left crushed!! Totally pissed me off to the fact that someone could have got some good parts out of it instead of it being hauled to scrap. Anyway I am really hoping to save this van!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:24 am

A number of our vans have been lossed to the I'm going to fix it up guys. And with the higher price of scrap that not helping either. Neutral
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

I want this early FARGO I found in town... Empty I GOT THIS EARLY FARGO!

Post by sasktrini Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:15 pm

WOO HOO... $50 on Monday! He's taking the tires and slotted rims and jack stands out of the van, but agreed that the price was okay due to current condition, and the "not a Charger, it's a van" statement about it's restored value. He'll try to find the keys and old registration for me, and we'll do the deed on payday!

cheers

BTW, he says it's a '68.

Last edited by sasktrini on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : year of van)
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Post by Hemi A-100 Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Congrats man!!!! You should tell him he can keep the shag carpeting. hahaha.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:05 am