VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen Empty Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen

Post by wideload Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I finally got around to installing the Fiero seat belts in my 67-90" today. Had to figure out some kind of mounting bracket that would hold the retract boxes in the proper position so they would work. Inside the box there's a lead pendulum on each or the rollers that if not hanging vertical it locks the roller stopping the belts from extending any further.
    I used some pieces of scrap metal that I had to make the brackets. The narrower of the two pieces of angle iron is the only difference between the driver's side and the pass side. The pass side bolted through the flat sheet metal flange around the front and side doors where the driver's side had to bolt through the first wall brace.

This is the stock that I used.
    Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3624

Bolted the box to the flat bar with a 1/2" bolt then tacked the larger piece of angle in position to keep the box in the proper position.

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3625

The other piece of flat stock was used to mount the bottom belt guide in place. Then a test fit into the wall on the driver's side. The second piece of angle was used to bolt the bracket to the first wall brace behind the seat.
    Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3626

After the test fit got everything welded up then did the final bolting into the wall. The mounting position for the shoulder belt is already in the wall on the second gen.

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3627

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3628

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3629

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen 100_3630
    All that's left to do on this project is to trim the paneling to allow the belt access into the cab. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow.

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen Empty Re: Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Mike your getting so much done quickly!!! Looks GREAT!!!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 am

That is AWESOME!!! Great work!!! Upgrading seat belts in earlies is an interesting proposition, and this looks real solid!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 pm

knowing that theses vans arent the safest things around, i find this to be a very good and smart idea, i'm some kind of a purist, but security is number 1 in my book, these dashs are made of steel, it only takes a small hit to print the dash into your face, i think i'll do the same, cheers
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen Empty Seat belts in a 1st Gen Sportvan

Post by VANagain Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:01 pm

The seat belts in my 65 Sportvan fit so well that I thought they were somehow stock. But of course they never came with shoulder straps. A closer look shows the year 1985 on a label on the strap. Not sure what they are out of, but here are a couple of photos. The release button has a red sticker that says PRESS. Look how good it fits in that opening, with the little bent over part on the top and the lower bolt has a thick steel plate on the inside.

Any idea what kind of car these came out of? I need a plastic cover for the clip on one side.

Fiero seat belts in a 2nd gen Seatbe10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 am