VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

5 speed in our vans

5 speed in our vans Empty 5 speed in our vans

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:04 am

wouldnt it be cool to have a 5 speed in our vans. would have to be a helluva shifter man Laughing .

5 speed in our vans Empty 5-Speed in Chevy van

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:27 am

Years ago I read an article about a guy that put a 4-speed in his van. They used cables to replace the linkage between the shifter and the transmission, and said it worked out really well. I'm sure it can be done, just don't know if there is anyone around these days has actually done it. It sure would be cool!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

5 speed in our vans Empty Re: 5 speed in our vans

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

The 4 speed transmissions came in the 2nd Gen Chevy Vans,,,I got one that someone put in a 1965,,,,,,,The shifter is on the column,,,,,I think the fun would probably stop eventually if you had to shift 5 times between every stop , that is rough on clutches,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:24 am

I've had several 5-speeds in my Chevy trucks. What they call a "Working 4-speed with OD" has a real low first gear that's only used when starting off of a steep grade or pulling a big load, and was only put in 5th when cruising at highway speeds. I'd love to have one in my van, but it would need to have enough motor to pull it.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

a guy in our car club has a 53 chevy p/u with a 434 and a rock crusher, he used a column out of a ford 4spd col shift, its pretty neat but he is running a hyd clutch set up and its been a pita since day one, with all the torque and the fact he rigged up the slave cylinder it doesnt fully release sometimes and burns up a clutch every year.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Wow, he's got a lot of engine, with a nearly bullet-proof tranny! Seems like a hydraulic clutch would be the "hot set-up" for a retro-fit like that! While my trucks all had a hydraulic clutch, I never had to tinker with one and they might have a lot of drawbacks. Sure seems like it would have enough adjustment to provide complete release.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:29 pm

i think its a bracket problem, he is a machinest and says thats not the problem. i built the same engine and put it in my 89 chevy with the garbage 5spd and it didnt have that problem, went through 3 trannys and 1 rearend but no hyd clutch probs Twisted Evil

5 speed in our vans Empty Four Speed

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Ok guys. I'm getting close to starting my V8 swap and I will be selling my Four Speed with electronic overdrive. It is a Four on the column and the reverse is a cable release on the floor. The electronic overdrive is also cable operated and is currently mounted right under the driver's seat. It is a very cool setup and works great. I can cruise at 90-100 all day down the highway with no problems. If you keep down around seventy, I've averaged over 20mpg. I also have a brand new 292 bored .30 over that I just got from the machine shop. Well, it is 1965 292 block but if anybody is interested I will respond with all the stuff that has been done to the engine. I just got it back last week and it hasn't even been unwrapped yet.

Let me know what you think that tranny is worth. I will throw in two fresh clutches as well.

Thanks,
    ScottyP

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:10 pm

i would imagine that will sell real quick scott, that sounds like a cool set up was that factory?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:21 pm

No, I have a 66G10 and the three on the tree was factory. The guy I bought the van from was an engineer and he really did some cool custom things with this van. I hate to get rid of all his work but a friend of mine has convinced me to go with a late model LS motor and the 4L60E transmission. It is sort of a shame because I will have enough parts to probably complete another van. I just hope there is a market for all my leftovers because I think I overpaid a bit(for the van) for what I want to do now.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

i dont think you will have any problems selling parts. were all looking for parts on here. what carb did it have

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02 am

I think I have multiple carbs but they are all two barrel I believe.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

5 speed in our vans Empty Maybe just because...

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 am

I'm getting old, yet I remember when I preferred a 3 spd to a 5 spd. Sure when the synchroed 4 & 5 spds. came out in performance cars it was fun having that range to get em up to 130 mph without frying the engine. Yet for me I am sick of shifting more than I have to. I had an old Dodge with a bad seal that turned my 3 spd into almost an automatic. Could leave it in 2nd gear almost all the time in town and shift into 3rd on the highway. It sucked gas either way. Frankly, if I can 308 my rear end and run taller tires for overdrive I'm quite happy with not shifting so oftern.

And, Scott, please put those extra parts out on sale here so we can scarf them up :-)

Happy motoring, Mark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am