VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
EconoUSAparts
Digz
Magic Bus
rhysaccess
Bluelemon
RodStRace
sasktrini
donivan65
12 posters

king pins of the under carriage world...

king pins of the under carriage world... Empty king pins of the under carriage world...

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:59 am

now that the wheel bearings are all done another wobble is disturbing the force. can someone relate their experiences with changing
    out king pins thanks. and also thank you all for the help since last summer, its made keeping the van running a breeze.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

king pins of the under carriage world... Empty Re: king pins of the under carriage world...

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 pm

These don't look like the easy ones to replace,,,,,,,

king pins of the under carriage world... Repair77

king pins of the under carriage world... Empty Re: king pins of the under carriage world...

Post by Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 pm

I have never replaced any but I just bought new ones for my 65 Econo. I was told they have to be pressed in.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Well lets see,,,,,,you tap on that pin a few times, it comes right out,,,,,,the kingpin falls down onto the floor,,,,,you slide out both bushings,,,,,tap in some new ones,,,,slide a new kingpin and bearing in,,,,tap in a new roll pin,,,,and in 15 minutes you are done,,,,,NOW,,,,maybe it might not go exactly like that,,,,,so any Ford guy want to tell him the real story,,,,,,
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:55 am

It depends on what you mean by "tap", I suspect... I haven't tried this, but most other assemblies are requiring brute force for disassembly! However, my "brute force" is probably your "tap" Laughing
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 am

I haven't done them on the van yet, but had them done on my '40.
    I hope you have the service manual, and have a good garage in town that has experience in doing them.
    The new parts should include the kingpin, bushings, bearing and washer and lock pin. It may include new zerks and caps for each end too.
    As mentioned, a bit of force is needed to get old worn parts out. Try not to damage the spindle and axle end, of course.
    Bushings usually need to be reamed for fit after installation. That's why I mention a shop, since the tools are one time use (unless you have multiple vans) and require a bit of feel.

http://www.etoolcart.com/adjustable-king-pin-reamer.aspx

Look for a shop that does big trucks, street rods or an old time shop.
    It's also a good time to clean and paint all those rusty, dirty, greasy parts!

EDIT
    wrong year, but should give you some idea of the parts. It also does not mention replacing bushings and reaming.
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/94ll-hi-my-husband-is-replacing-the-kingpins-on-his-1979
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 am

Ok Steve, if we can't get a Ford version of this repair, we will use a Chevy for an example. This job could be really hard to do,,,,might need a machine shop,,,,,A cutting torch,,,,and you might have too much wear to install the new kingpins. 1st problem, get that pin that holds the kingpin shaft out of the axle,,,,,,might have to drill it,,,,,so you need to be real careful doing it,,,,,if you get that out,,,,will the shaft slide out or is it rusted into the axle? or is the axle so worn out that the kingpin shaft is real loose in there. So if you pull the shaft out, the spindle comes off. The actual kingpin bushings are pressed into each end,,,,they could be bronze or nylon,,,,,easy enough to press them in and out, BUT,,,,they might be too tight for the shaft to slide into them and might need to be reamed out to the proper clearance. Thats what you are up against,,,,,so are you up to it? You could drive it to a shop and let them do it,,,,pull the axle off and take it to them or GO FOR IT,,,,,,,,

king pins of the under carriage world... Repair80

king pins of the under carriage world... Repair81

king pins of the under carriage world... Repair82

Post by Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:55 pm

oh my god Shocked
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Steve,

Best to remove the axle, drive out the lock pin. Then put the end in a press and heat to push out the old pin. They are usually rusted into the axle.
    61-63 is diffferent than 64-76. Both are the same diameter and the new bushings must be reamed to size before re-installing.
    Check over at OldEconolines@yahoogroups for a more complete description.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm

And there is a chance that the axle itself is worn out,,,,,and might require bushings to be installed in it to bring it back into specs. But Steve, you won't know what you got until you tear it apart,,,,,but at least now you know what to look out for and what to expect......getting it apart is probably 90% of the work,,,,once you get through that,,,,it is easy,,,,,,if you keep driving it around with those spindles banging the kingpin and the kingpin banging the axle, its just going to make things worst and you will be looking for a new axle,,,,

Post by Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 am

thanks for the info guys, i'll do this job in the spring when it gets a bit warmer. i'll post some pics as i go. thanks again!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 pm

If you bought or rented a Ball Joint/U Joint installer/remover tool, you have a good chance of pressing out that lock pin and kingpin shaft,,,,,,

king pins of the under carriage world... Repair84
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Number of posts : 103
    Registration date : 2010-02-07

Post by rhysaccess Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 am

Howdy all,

I've recently recieved my new bush kit - and left them in the van.

It's been two days and they still haven't installed themselves......so I guess I'm going to have to do them (if the van is to pass the licence inspection).

No doubt in 7 - 10 days I'll know all about this job.

Regards,

Rhys
    Bluelemon
    Bluelemon

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Bluelemon Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm

A shop press and torch to heat the rusted pin in the axle is useful.
    Once the new bronze bushings are pressed in, they have to be reamed to size so the pin will fit with clearance for the grease to lubricate.
    Be sure NOT to use TRW pins as the locking groove is cut too deep and will let the pin moove in the axle and destoy the axle.....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm

So I am seeing 2 types of kingpins, as well as some oversizes. So why the change? The newer ones have screw on caps with the zerk fittings in them,,,,,,maybe the open end ones created more problems,,,,,so it looks like the spindles are different, but are the axles still interchangeable?

king pins of the under carriage world... Ford_k10

king pins of the under carriage world... Ford_k11
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 am

I just finished replacing my kingpins on my 67. My axle was damaged due to excessive wear. I had to take it to a machine shop and have a sleeve intsalled in both sides where the kingpin fits. What I thought was going to be a do it yourself $65 kinpin job turned into a $300+ project! But it there was a LOT of play in my drivers side wheel. Now its all good, along with a new tie rod end and a steering box adjustment. I might point out that the previous owner told me that the kinpins were bad. I just wasn't planning on the axle being damaged. Oh well on to all the other TLC that this this is crying out for!
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi all,

I've stripped and replaced the king pin bushes (and shimmed any remaining play).

Having some difficulty knocking the pins in that secure the shaft in place. Seems that they don't want to go the last 1/2" to sit flush.

Anyone else had this problem.........am I worrying about nothing?

Regards,
    Rhys
    king pins of the under carriage world... Econol10
    king pins of the under carriage world... Econol11
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:42 am

I believe that is what is expected. If the locking pin hole in the axle is tight, the locking pin will probably not go all the way in, stopping a little short of flush and swedging or mushrooming the head as you drive in until it stops..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:34 am

If you are saying that it looks like it still has 1/2" to go,,,,,then the pin is hitting the kingpin and not the groove that it is supposed to be in,,,,,,,,so the kingpin would not be locked in,,,,,,,,,there is a possibility that the pin is not the right size also.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:38 am

Do a visual check to see if the slot is aligned vertically and is flat where the lock bolt goes in. The other pictures on page 1 should explain....
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for that

The locking pin is positioned correctly on the groove of the king pin. In fact when turning the axle, I can detect a tiny ammount of movement in the kingpin as it turns with the steering then stops as it makes contact with the locking pin.

I'm guessing, therefore , that the locking pin will only go in as far as the locking pin hole ID in the axle will allow. The locking pin sits about 5-8mm proud (bit less tham the 1/2" posted earlier).

This concearn anyone else?

Cheers,
    Rhys
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm

That king pin shouldn't move at all in the axle. Like Don said , I would be checking if it is even the right pin. Something sure isnt right. Do the pins look okay? any sign of being beaten in alot?. Im not a Ford van guy ,but I have been around enough kingpinned axles..
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:47 pm

First guess is to try inserting it in the other direction, but they are tapered so this is not likely.
    Second is wrong parts.
    Third is "make it work"
    Open up the hole (kingpin out) a bit at a time until the locking pin fully seats in the hole without passing through AND locks the kingpin in place.
    Not the best solution, but sometimes with old stuff this is the only choice.
    I see that you are not in a location where there will be a local guy who has done a hundred of these vans.
    However, heavy truck axles are universal. There should be someone that can look it over and help decide a reasonable fix.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:16 pm

I think if that kingpin shaft moves, you are going to beat the axle to death,,,,you say you can see the kingpin turn with the spindle, then the lockpin is not holding it right now,,,,,how tight was the kingpin going into the axle,,,,,was the axle wallowed out,,,,,how about put the tire on and rock it top to bottom,,,,,does it act like the kingpin bushings are still bad,,,,,,,could be a worn out axle and that pin is reaching in the best it can and the kingpin has moved away from it because the axle hole is worn,,,,,,If you get desperate,,,,,,maybe see if one of these Chevy pins will work,,,,it is 2" long,,,,,1/2" diameter,,,,,Your pin is not tapered, right,,,,,,its just a straight pin,,,,,,maybe the Chevy one would have enough wedge to trap that shaft,,,,,,,

king pins of the under carriage world... Repair93
    rhysaccess
    rhysaccess

Post by rhysaccess Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks again.........

Yes the king pin moves - slightly.

Bushes are new as are the kink pins and locking pins (Federal-Mogul kit). Picture below is one of the new locking pins, with one of the old.

No play between the new bushes and king pin.

Certainly the locking pin is tapered - as is the hole. They are the right way around.

mmmm...

king pins of the under carriage world... King_p10

Regards,
    Rhys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm