VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+24
panelmanrd
Rayallen
Chroma66
mo_1040
Big W
slowflapper
Lazarusvan
crayform
Scotts_A100
texasjohn
wacko
van islander
dix
scrubba
67a 100 pickup
wylee
sasktrini
EconoUSAparts
boroop
Digz
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
Nightmoves
Vanish
28 posters

What Do you Think ??????

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 3 Empty Re: What Do you Think ??????

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:31 pm

[i]=Im thinking cory is on the correct track. I live here in the north like he does & also spent my 1st 40 yars in south centrak Texas - so yes heat down there can get bad. Here not a problem. Keeping the heat inside is mostly what we need up north -yet- helps to get rid of heat in the 1 month of heat we have here .Keep thinking cory!! UR on the right track.Ill add this also-30years back i did a hotrod 56 chev pickup- still have it - i painted it Freuhalf Yellow with a clear coat. That color alone lowered the inside temps in texas 20 degreed F when closed up. Coolest color ive ever seen for temps reductions.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:19 am

Finally got around to opening the boxes containing the Acoustishield product I purchased from HotRod Roman. Very nice presentation, everything labeled and packaged seperately for each section of the van. It even includes the spray adhesive. So far, this looks like a nice deal even if I had paid full price.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t26108-complete-acoustishield-kit

On a related note, I spoke with the expert at this company before purchasing. It seems so many go overkill with Dynomat. As expensive as it is, doing it smartly makes sense. I would have gone wall to wall with it if budget allowed, and this is not how they suggest one does it. Strategic placement for vibration control is all that is needed. I plan on getting a decibel meter and measuring before and after to see how effective this product is. They claim to knock down 10 db's.

The expert lady I chatted with was so good, I really thought she should post a thread on here to discuss the particulars of sound proofing in general and answer questions. It would be a win-win for everyone.

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 3 Kit110

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 3 Kit10

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 3 Kit210
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 pm

I watch te saturday morning shows on tv for ideas and they often talk about "dynomat" for sound deadening and insulation. It is very expensive. I have found a cheaper, yet almost identical product at home dopot. It is in the roofing section, comes in rolls, (8 or 10 inches wide). It is called "quick flash". It is for sealing (flashing) roof sections. I forget the cost, but it isn't that high. I did the walls inside my 64 E-100 p/u with two rolls. Cut it to fit and then peal off the paper backing and stick it on. Make sure you have it where you want it because it doesn't come off. Dan in SC
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:52 pm

10 decibels reduction isnt much?? Ill look @ the stuff in home depot tomorrow.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 pm

My memory is failing me, but IIRC there was talk that the Home Depot stuff gives off a tar smell for a while or something, particularly in the heat. Just take a close look at it before you decide, I guess.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:18 am

Yes =sask - ur likely correct as i also remember that post.Im like you with the memory-yet likely that stuff will work for me as my ol smeller isnt so good anymore. I remember all the old cars in 30-40's had tar pored / sprayed in the door & body areas for sound deadning too.That might have smelled a bit back then.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 am

Well maybe it adds to a period-correct resto... was tar part of the new-car smell? :$

By the way, props to Roman and congrats to Laz... that kit looks amazing!
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 am

Corey, I was thinking yesterday that since this kit has already been put together and all the measurements already done, that I should make a template for others to use. The material they use looks very similar to the HVAC stuff everyone is using and that is currently in my dog house.

I was thinking of using heavy manilla artist's paper? Hoping to put the wife on that task...Also hoping to find time to get to the project. All surfaces have to be painted and clean.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Post by Lazarusvan Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:10 decibels reduction isnt much?? Ill look @ the stuff in home depot tomorrow.

Matt, I thought the same thing. She made the comment that 10db to the human ear was a huge difference and she compared it to something I can't recall. I am pretty sure that is correct. If I recall correctly, the link for the sound deadening showdown posted earlier in this thread also referenced 10db. You would think this must be enough of a difference for them to take the time to make a system.

Keep in mind as well that they may only referring to the Db level reduction of their insualtion. The lack of shake, rattle, and roll, while a contributor to sound and noise, may, in itself, be a major soothing feature to the ear. I got the impression that using Dynomat for sound reduction was not really the purpose. It was strictly intended for vibration control.

I am going to call this company when I have moment and ask her to chime in. She had an answer to all my questions, including the spray on foam and the concept of rust occuring from insulating against the metal. She really knows her stuff.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:49 pm

yes -thanx- im more interested in keeping the cool in in summer & heat in in that winter . sound-Deadening=? maybe if thats also a benefit? High perf engine, hedders & duals- oh well? just turn up the tunes & enjoy i guess. Heck, i scream at all the family members anyway!! affraid

Im building a van - not a Caddy or vehicle that susposed to be Quiet as im driving 70mph- usually will have the windows down anyways- Floore & walls will be covered also -carpet-insulation & panelled . Lord forbid if its so quiet i can hear a beer can open?? wow!! I likely wouldnt know its open? cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm