VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+24
panelmanrd
Rayallen
Chroma66
mo_1040
Big W
slowflapper
Lazarusvan
crayform
Scotts_A100
texasjohn
wacko
van islander
dix
scrubba
67a 100 pickup
wylee
sasktrini
EconoUSAparts
boroop
Digz
DanTheVanMan
G-Man
Nightmoves
Vanish
28 posters

What Do you Think ??????

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 2 Empty Re: What Do you Think ??????

Post by wacko Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:56 pm

What did you use to attach it to the ceilling? Spray adhesive?
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm

im thinking of rubberized bedliner type material. Sprayed/rolled directly to the wall,ceiling,floor should allow for great rust protction and flexibilty to help keep cracks from forming. If your going to panel, then that and the 1/2" foil barrier attached to the added panels should dampen sound and temps. Small Interior vents on top and bottom off panels/walls and each side on ceilings would allow for any moister to evaporate.
    JUST AN OPINION....
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 am

wacko wrote:What did you use to attach it to the ceilling? Spray adhesive?

This is 'Awesome" stuff !!!
    And you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot....
    Just spray both wall and foam, wait about 3-5 min and stick- on. Just make sure your foam is cut to exact size and you put it on perfect! Once it fully dries, is there for good!

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 2 Img_0811

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:50 pm

I just had a customer of mine(who shall remain nameless) give me some self adhesive 4x8 sheets of insulation foam used on the inside of industrial generator cabinets to deaden sound. I have enuf to do 2 whole vans in 1/2 inch,1 inch,and 2 inch thicknesses. Just peel off the backing and stick it on. Its got a black film coating on the opposite side. Price is definitey right,dont know about R value but its pretty dense stuff. Then again, Im not paying a HVAC bill for a furnace system running inside my van either so R value isnt super important to me. Sound deadening definitely is.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Post by wacko Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:
    This is 'Awesome" stuff !!!
    And you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot....
    Just spray both wall and foam, wait about 3-5 min and stick- on. Just make sure your foam is cut to exact size and you put it on perfect! Once it fully dries, is there for good!

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 2 Img_0811

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I will check it out
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Just my two cents on this topic. I know back in the day they had used a spray foam on the inside walls and ceiling. This was the thing to do and what I chose to do to my 78 Chevy C20 Nomad Van before putting a custom interior in it. I've no idea if there are places around today that does this type of spray foam but would be what I would do again if I was customizing one again. Scott...

Post by Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 pm

from an aicraft perspective, insulation always causes a corrosive environment. the fibres of anything will capture moisture and then hold it untill heat builds up. then it gets released and tries to attack the structure galvanically. its worse when its soaked with urine and feces. ask me how i know this... its best to let the water out as fast as it can leave. lots of drain holes.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:12 pm

I am going to use this stuff called peal and stick it is very much like the original dinomate but a lot lot lot cheaper. You can find it in the roofing section of your local hardware store.
    crayform
    crayform

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-06-18

Post by crayform Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:38 pm

steve wrote: its worse when its soaked with urine and feces. ask me how i know this...

Well, I'm askin'. How do you know this?
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I just finished reading this thread and I thought from the start that the spray on foam would be a good option. Don't know if it holds moisture. I wil say that we built a house a few years ago and they sprayed the entire interior roof of my attic with the foam. It really stays pretty cool compared to most attics I've entered. Even the humidity levels in the summer are far less. If I run a dehumifier, it does fill up quickly, but that's just an attic.

Using Dynamat all around would be very expensive. I am curious to ask NipRing if he notices any great sound deafening affect from using it. I belive the van he purchased was lined along the entire interior with a small fortune in Dynamat.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Digz wrote:That is similar to what we put under the concrete floor at the pit shop, The double bubble foil has an R value of 5 and replaces an inch of styrofoam, the floor stuff has a layer of poly on it like a very thin tarp, is only a 1/2 inch thick, Id be tempted to adhere it to the inside of any panels that go up insted of the metal. I dont know if they have small rolls of that tho, maybe check with a builder to see if they would have any left overs.

The stuff that Fred was talking about is the same stuff I did my doghouse with, and the same stuff I'm talking about for interior panels, exactly like Digz is saying. The stuff I bought is only about a 1/4" thick, so I think that would be great backing an interior panel right against the ribs!

Then, for sound deadening, I think a few dabs of expanding foam between ribs and exterior sheet metal, and rubberized undercoating or a few of the roofing panels (asphalt?) stuck to the large wobbly panels. That will be my choice!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 am

Just some food for thought on spray foam. There have been quite a few potato farmers around here who have torn down and rebuilt storages. I want to say about 20 years ago it seemed like a great deal to cover the interiors of these structures with spray on foam. What they have discovered is like what Steve said. It corrodes away from the inside out resulting in roof cave ins and also rotting away wood support structure that was in contact with the steel. On mine I found that just putting a padded interior in resulted in major sound and heat reductions. But I dont live in a high temp zone either. The stuff I used on my DH is working out great! 1/2" thick glass mat with a foil side, 3m adhesive on a clean surface and I have had no fall offs. You used to be able to cook an egg on the top and now it only warms up when Im doing stop and go traffic stuff and the area by the headers probably saw a 75% reduction in heat transfer.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 am

I'm going with dynomat or something similar just for noise control. When I put the interior panels in they will more than likely be covered with black "speaker carpet" and that's about all the insulation I'm going to do. It's too humid and hot in GA to risk trapping moisture anywhere so I'll still have some hidden vent holes in the panels.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Fatmat or dynomat but first spray it with Body Armor. The Body Armor will prevent rust and act as a sound deadener
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:25 pm

As most of you already no...when I pulled the PO interior out of my 66, I found it to be stuffed...and I meen stuffed full of styrofoam insulation. The walls, the roof, the doors. This person cut little pieces and put this stuff in like a puzzle, it was sculpded. There was no open air from roof to floor. Now the only place that shows rust is anywhere 2 pieces of mettle have been touching. Roof ribs inside and the wall ribs against outer skin. It also appears to have had an effect on the seam sealer that glues all these ribs to the outer skins, most of it has let go. But man did that van sound solid. If I was to repeat what this person did I would put some kind of plastic spacer strips in behind the insulation to hold it away from the walls so that air could circulate, maybe even some kind of vent strip top and bottom the full lentgh of the van. I also found that whoever did this interior, had autographed one of the boards and it was done in july of 1976. So in 35 years that's all I could find for rust issues. just food for thought on the styrofoam. And I no that the paneling that was used matches my house trailer and it was made in 73ish...lol.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Back in the 70s we used R15 fiberglass insulation and after seven years there was no rust in my A100 interior walls. Probably because it stays pretty warm here most of the year and dry
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:28 pm

No expert on this but from what I have read on marine or boat repair you can't or should not use spray foam because it is not a "closed cell foam" and will hold moisture. If I were to go with a foam I would look for something meant for a marine application.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 pm

there are 2 types. open and closed cell. We are using the closed cell in the 67 e. it is recommended to use closec cell because it acts like a barrier and wont attract moisture. Not sure about condensation issues but from what we understand is it wont be between the metal and foam.
    Chroma66
    Chroma66

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2011-03-02

What Do you Think ?????? - Page 2 Empty RE: What do you think??

Post by Chroma66 Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm going to use magnets. I bought the roll of shiny bubble insulation, some metal tape, and some little round magnets at Home Depot. I figure I'll just tape the magnets onto the corners of the insulation pieces. This way, they'll stay on when I want them to, but are removable so I can check for rust. I tried 3M adhesive spray but the ceiling pieces and one of the wall pieces came right off when it got hot outside. I'm also going to use magnets for the curtains. Photos to follow! I ought to mention though that I plan on having an independent heat source in my van so no need for heavy duty insulation.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:11 pm

I've only started for the most part but instead of Dinamat I found ProtectoWrap (WAY cheaper) that as far as I can tell the only difference is it doesn't have the reflective backing. It woks great for sound deadening and sticks very well, I covered the outside of the doghouse to see how it will stand up to heat and even on the exhaust side it only gets a little soft. Hasn't fell off or melted or become brittle. This comes in a roll and you cut it how you want it, peel the backing paper off and when it sticks it STAYS.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:30 pm

Where can a person get this protectoWrap from? How much for a roll? and how big a roll?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 am

ProtectoWrap.com They have multiple products including their own "audio wrap". I used the BT25XL, I got it at Home-Depo. The 12" tall by 75' long roll was about $50.
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 am

I plan on por 15 or rust bullet on my walls (also my entire floor) then using fatmat
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:18 pm

I would use the por 15 or a bed liner type coating and
    then use the closed cell foam board unsulation applied to
    the back side of the paneling not applied to the metal
    surface, using consruction adhesive or the 3m spray contact
    adhesive, allowing an air gap at the steel allowing it
    to breathe. just my 2 cents.
    cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Post by cculella Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I have been doing some research on sound deadening for my van. After stumbling upon this site, it has opened my eyes as to what needs to be done. Read through and enjoy.

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:45 am