VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

engine ID help

engine ID help Empty engine ID help

Post by Guest Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Im a new owner of a 66 Econoline Super Van and I can't figure out if it has a 240 or a 170, I supose I could figure it out but I cant even find the VIN plate. The one on the driver's door frame is gone and I can't find the on the engine...please help.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

engine ID help Empty Re: engine ID help

Post by southern man Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm guessing if it's a '66 super van it almost has to have the 240, unless it got replaced somewhere along the way (but why would someone go with a 170, unless they had it laying around?).
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Welcome hotrod524.nice van the vin number should be stamped on the dog house front floor area i believe,should also be stamped on one of the braces near the rear doors, corner braces.that wont tell you engine size unless you are sure it is a stock motor.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Doesnt the 240 have a removeable intake? I know the 170 is made as part of the head and can't be unbolted/removed...
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:48 pm

It probably came with a 240 but it could be ordered with a 170 also. The intake as stated is removeable. The VIN plate on a 66 would be on the drivers door rear edge,not the door jamb itself. The VIN itself on a 65-67 model is easily seen on the floor hump top lip at the rear base of the doghouse. It can be seen with the doghouse still installed. 61-64 models have it stamped under the doghouse itself under the tar sealant. You may also find it on the rear inner brace by the tail lights but I ve seen several ones where I couldnt see it there. Sometimes its hidden by excessive layers of paint.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks alot everyone for the resposes. What a great Econoline family!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:16 am