VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

HEI distributer

HEI distributer Empty HEI distributer

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:21 pm

xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

HEI distributer Empty Re: HEI distributer

Post by xjamesx Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Wait for a more mechanical member to chime in but i got an HEI exactly like that off eBay for the same price for my V8 and it works perfect for 3 years running now...
    by the way, does this mean you are keeping your van now?

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:48 pm

James, I was able to come up with some cash so yes, I am keeping the van. Im so close to having it on the road. I just need to get it to run right and im hoping this distributer will do that.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:29 pm

looks like a good deal,,,,,,,hook up 12 volts to it and buy some HEI spark plug wires and you are ready to roll,,,,,,,,
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by wideload Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:43 am

I'm running the stock GM electronic distributors on all 3 of my I6's. Work great. Don't know what they go for at a junk yard but it might be worth checking.

Glad to hear your getting to keep the van!!!!!

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:32 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-6-Cyl-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-194-230-235-250-261-292c-i_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45efcfd438QQitemZ300376118328QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories. this is the one i got, plug and play. works great and has a warranty. dropped it in got new wires and opened the gap on the plugs, runs great. you will love the change hei makes.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 pm

,,,,,,and the important part is that the wire to the positive side on the coil on a points system is NOT 12 volts,,,,,

Post by Guest Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for your replys guys. Its good to know they work well. I just ordered the cheeper one, hopefully the install will go smoothly. Ill let you guys know how it works.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:21 pm

We normally go to the wrecking yard and get one out of an 80's GM vehicle,,,,,,and here's a road test of one of them

HEI distributer Th_PHOT0001

Post by Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Thats the exact one I bought for Ester! Popped right in and worked like a champ. MUCH better startup and driveability, you wont be disapointed.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 am

Picked up one at the Yard yesterday. Besides the new 12 volt feed wire what else do I need ?? It came complete with plug wires ($10.) Cool New plugs or regap them???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 am

The HEI used .045 and .060 spark plug gaps,,,,and they invented those little peanut 5/8" spark plugs for that. Our big 13/16" were made for .035 gap,,,,,so unless you got a newer engine, you don't want to open that gap up. There might be plugs for our vans that are made for wide gaps. But I guess you could gap them .040 to take advantage of all that energy. And you see that the BAT wire on the HEI is like 12 gauge,,,,,and what is our wire to the coil,,,16???? so a bigger feed wire would probably be better,,,,,and 12 VOLTS,,,,,NOT using that 6 volts from the ballast resistor that is going to the positive side of the coil,,,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:23 am

Don, I got a 68 250 out of a Nova(from CA) in my Nodoor,seems like it got the long plugs?(gaped at .035)? What you gap your plugs at in your van?? Also does the new 12 gauge wire have to go to ING switch ,or can it go to keyed side of fues box?? I put in extra fuse box when I was working on wireing
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:34 am

The easiest, not the best, way is to tie in to the IGNITION ON wire at the input side of the connector by the carb. But then you still are using the forward half of the old wiring. And you kind of want your ignition wiring work right,,,,you don't want that distributer quitting on you,,,,,,and that means NO FUSES,,,,Mine is running to a connection on the fuse block called IGNITION UNFUSED. And the Spark Plugs that use a 5/8" socket are the wide gap type. I still have the the old extended reach type, at .035, but as they wear the gap gets bigger, so they are like,,,,,,,self adjusting,,,,,,,the one thing that the HEI are noted for is that if the gap is too wide or a plug wire goes bad, the coil will burn a hole in the plastic rotor since the spark has no other easier place to go,,,,,you always need to carry a spare rotor and control unit with you as a back up,,,,,better still, another HEI to slap in whenever you loose spark,,,,,I would not leave home without it,,,,,,
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 am

Guess I need to go find another one$$$. When you said extra control unit, do you meen the Module??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:20 am

I am just saying it is good insurance to at least FIND an extra control module at the wrecking yard and keep it in your glove box in case you run out of spark someday,,,,,and of course, getting another spare HEI is always good for you or for someone else looking to get rid of their points distributor,,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:59 am