VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
donivan65
LiveWire64
sasktrini
oo3
VANagain
xjamesx
savage
Vanish
12 posters

Behind the Front seat Curtains ..........

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... Empty Behind the Front seat Curtains ..........

Post by Vanish Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 pm

Just wondering if any One Has Curtains in there Van ??? and How much it would help with Keeping some of the Heat up font in the cab area ... and keeping some privacy in the Back ...... if you have Done this what did you use for a curtain Rod ??? and material ????

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... Empty Re: Behind the Front seat Curtains ..........

Post by savage Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 am

You need heat out there??? Laughing
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... Empty Re: Behind the Front seat Curtains ..........

Post by Vanish Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:35 am

Tom it's Cold right Now .... LOL

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:34 am

savage wrote:You need heat out there??? Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... Icon_lol

Snowing this morning, sposed to be 18* tonight!
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:41 am

my old 108 had a curtain and i liked the privacy part of it, except people thought funny/creepy thoughts about the panel van with curtains, but didnt notice if it kept any decent amount of heat up front...
    i'll do that in my new van whenever i get to the interior.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... Empty Low-Tech Curtain Rod

Post by VANagain Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 am

Good topic. I'll be interested to hear how others have set up a curtain or whatever. This isn't a customization that most classic cars need to deal with, but it's important to us.

I did a lot of traveling in my first van, so blocking of the back was essential. It was very low-tech but worked well. I just ran a thin steel wire from a screw in one wall, up thru an eyelet by the domelight, over to the other wall. And Mom made two lined curtains with a hem at the top for the wire to go through. There was enough friction on the wire to hold the curtains closed, yet it was very easy to pull them open or closed. Another screw in each wall held a loop of elastic to tuck each curtain into so they wouldn't blow around while driving with the windows down. The wire was thin enough to where you didn't really notice it like you would a curtain rod.

And I do think there is an advantage to closing off the back when it's cold. You can just feel it creeping forward on you and I think the curtains would help.

So what would be a sleeker way to do this that wouldn't look so much like Mom made curtains for your camper?!
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am

had an 80s dodge extended van back a few years ago - lived up in ct at the time - in the winter would put up some clear plastic on the divider between the front seats and the cargo area - yes it did help to keep heat up front -and i could still see thru the side windows - oo3

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am

Post by Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 am

I used to put up an adjustable shower rod and vinyl shower curtain. It helped keep the heat up front in my '86 Chevy van. No holes to drill or screws, etc. Adjust it so it fits tight and take it down in a second whenever you don't need it. I put mine right behind the front seats. Ohio winters can be tough to warm a van.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:36 am

Never done it in a mid-engine van like our earlies, had one in my 85 GMC. It made a difference. It gave me a sense of security in that people could not see into the van to scope out my belongings, much like a sealed trunk (or "boot" for our overseas friends!)

I might be inclined to make a "rear console" that the top forms to the roof contour, flat on the bottom hiding the curtain rail, and then using the front face of the console for accessory switches such as LED lighting, maybe a fuse panel for rear accessories. Heck, I might even be inclined to drop the section behind the drivers seat all the way down to tie in with the top of the doghouse... allow the doghouse to open, still reach the battery from inside, but have a rear-facing surface to mount an LCD panel and maybe a cabinet for fridge and microwave.

I digress... but seriously, I think I would make a bracket / console to support a flat curtain rod but still cover the gap above. Plus it would add a roof support. I don't think you would have to line it either... simple cloth will impede the flow of air between the two spaces, but not interfere too much with your audio if you have subwoofers mounted in the rear.

Vanish, I've gotta say that your question kinda perked me up... been feeling a little flat lately, uninspired. You've given me a project idea to work on! Thanks!

My comment earlier about mid-engine earlies and curtains... just contemplating how the curtain would line up with the doghouse and if the length of the curtain would be impacted, not just cut to floor-length... that's all.

Last edited by sasktrini on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lit a fire under me)
    LiveWire64
    LiveWire64

Number of posts : 244
    Registration date : 2009-03-17

Post by LiveWire64 Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:48 am

Hey Vanish!
    I have cutains in my 72 Chevrolet van. Not sure how it keeps the heat in the cab area because it's generally warm up front in a van anyways.
    My curtain rod is simple. I used a piece of 3/8" metal fuel line & 3 threaded eyelets from the hardware store. I threaded the eyelets into my wood ceiling & then pushed the rod through them. Is a snug fit & hasn't moved in years.
    My curtain is a simple black cloth outer show curtain. Comes already sewn for a rod & was just the right length for my 72 van.
    Here's a couple pics. Good luck & shoot me a PM so we can get together sometime. Take care & merry Christmas. Brad Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... 121209045-vi
    Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... 121209044-vi
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:51 am

I like that Brad... never could figure out a good way to get the curtain to cut off the light from up top! Great stuff!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:53 pm

I used these aluminum and rubber well nuts to mount the eyebolts and used dowel rod to hang te curtains,,,,,,also had a set up to hang a small propane catalytic heater in back when we went camping,,,,,

Behind the Front seat Curtains .......... Repair18
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:56 pm

" And Mom made two lined curtains with a hem at the top for the wire to go through. ..."
    My Mom made mine also . some insulated material for drapes. It helped ,but ya still didnt dress light, of course being 16 yrs old I had a habit of going out in some god awful weather.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:32 pm

My old econo that I owned in 78 had the curtain behind the seats. I only had that van for one winter. Let me tell you that curtain helped. I dont remember the exact install but my memory recalls a springy/wire/cable type of rod. With a set of cloth curtains that someone had custom sewn, two notches on the lower sections that would but up niceley to the engine doghouse. Im still working on gettin my 67 on the road but it will be getting a curtain of some kind. In addition as was already stated, its also nice for privacy.
    hywaychild
    hywaychild

Number of posts : 389
    Registration date : 2008-05-27

Post by hywaychild Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 pm

if you just want something easy you can use a ajustable shower curtain rod find the cloth you like at walmart for less then 10 bucks your in
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by Kakster Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:26 pm

What I want to try is to sew some of those super strong magnets out of the computer hard disc drives into a curtain and stick it up to the roof rib just above the drivers area. No holes needed. Want to do the same with magnets in the four corners of curtains for the side and rear door windows.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 pm

i put red curtains up front and along the back windows. it helps big time with the heat and privacy. totally worth it. i use magnets to spread them to the inside of the van and to keep them put.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:02 pm