VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Heater Box Question

southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Heater Box Question Empty Heater Box Question

Post by southern man Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 am

When I got my '64 econo the PO gave me plenty of parts in boxes. Now that its at the paint shop I'm trying to put together the heater, among other things. I thought it looked complete, and I even got a new heater core in one of the boxes. However, the core isn't stock, and just has in and out valves - no way to regulate the water flow. I'm also missing the knob for the fan, and I think some parts for the floor inlet vent. Add to that a lot of rust and crud, almost non-existent direction sticker, etc - much like most of them I guess. Haven't run any juice yet to the fan to see if it works.

What would be my best recourse? Are rebuilt models available? (I know, the answer is probably no, but thought I'd ask). Should I convert it to the more modern version? If so where could I get a complete assembly?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Heater Box Question Empty Re: Heater Box Question

Post by sasktrini Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 pm

I've handled three:

1st from my 64 (no knob, valve was there?), 2nd a complete donor from a salvage yard, third from my 62, no valve. I don't get it.

I don't know what the point of a core without the control for those heater boxes are... I suppose it would be possible to hook up a 65-7 heater valve inline with the hose.

My advice, watch the yards for a donor... I found one! Mind you, I'm going to check Macs Auto Parts for a core for my 65.

I bet Tim (Econopartsusa) would have one... I'd stick with the floor design so you don't have to drill your dash and fill your floor. Something will come up.
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 am

Corey,
    I had a 66 parts van and was going to salvage the newer model heater box, but it was rusted through in a couple of places and I just gave up on that thought. Maybe I should have tried harder but it's gone now.

I'll send a note to Tim and see what he's got. Thanks.
    Jeff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:09 am