VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander

Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-06-17

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander Empty Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander

Post by Hemi A-100 Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:07 am

Hey guys, Chris (G-Man), Duane (GP70) and myself were shooting the bull this weekend at Bakers and the Mystery Mover Corvair van wheelstander came up. I am a die hard wheelstander nut and Chris told me that Jack Layton's son Bill is trying to locate the original truck to restore. We all thought that if the real truck could not be located that at least build a replica of the Mover. How cool would it be to see a street tribute of the Mover built? I thought I would start this thread in hopes to get some pics of the Mover posted and maybe help Bill locate the original truck. I am at work right now and this was the only pic I could find. I know I have a few of them in my wheelstander pics collection at home. I will try and remember to post them tonight.

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander Moverrf1

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander L9f224f7c6fc13b076bd74auw9
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander Empty Re: Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander

Post by Hemi A-100 Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Here are a few more pics of the Mover. Enjoy.

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander 1402130514562724665rsjt7

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander 1974260902705995039rsvr6

Mystery Mover Corvair wheelstander Mysterymoverkw4
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Bill told me they put plexaglass in the floor to see better when it was up on end and he said there driver said it made the ride scaryer. affraid
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:16 pm

Bill also told me if he ever finds it or redo another he will bring it to Baker's. Hemi A100 you can touch it there. Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:22 pm

What's with the gas mask on the driver? And what's the sheet metal on the sides of the van for...air scoops or something?
    Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Post by Hemi A-100 Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 am

Everyone back then wore the masks. Instead of wearing a full faced helmet with the filters like they do now a days back then they wore the masks. I have been searching for a old skool mask like that with the goggles. How funny would it be if I put that on with a helmet and fire suit jacket and cruised up Woodward! I think I will foresure have to put the injection on for something like that. hahahha

Alot of people think most of those old wheelstanders had plexaglass floors when in actuallity not many of them didn't. Maverick never ran with a floor window and even the first few incarations of the Hurst Hemi Under Glass didn't have a floor window. Bob Riggle use to drive the HUG by looking out the side window and judging how close he was to the gaurd rails!! Talk about having big hairy b@lls. Espically when those guys were driving wheelstanders without steering brakes. I have some great old footage of Maverick driving the truck right off the track and onto the grass and keeping it up in a wheelstand! Those guys were crazy.

Hey Chris, does Bill come onto this board at all? You should try to get him on here. I would love to see him build a street-tribute of the Mover just like you, Duane and I talked about. That would be so cool to see. I think I might have some more pics in one of my albums, I will try and dig them out and scan them and post them here.
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:00 pm

I know where there are 2 Corvair panel vans in JY here in Indiana
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:20 pm

I see him at my local criuse now and then. I will have him sign up and check the pic's you have allready posted. He will get a kick out of it.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Hemi A-100
    Hemi A-100

Post by Hemi A-100 Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:19 pm

That is exactly what he needs right there!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am