VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Starter system wiring

docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Starter system wiring Empty Starter system wiring

Post by docmcg Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:31 pm

Okay guys, I’m at the point of wring my truck and am totally drawing a blank. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to wire up the starting system. I need someone to draw me a first grade level drawing of how to go from the battery to the the starter to the ignition switch, the coil, to the ECU, ( I have a Mopar electronic distributor) and everywhere in between. I’m not even sure if the resister gets put back in with the electronic distributor. I feel so stupid right now. Can anyone provide me a hand drawn schematic? Thanks so much, Steve.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Starter system wiring Empty Re: Starter system wiring

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:00 pm

Heres a start for you,,,,,,,starter connects to Positive battery cable at the relay, ignition switch turns on relay unless you got an auto trans then safety neutral switch turns on relay,,,,,,

Starter system wiring Dodge_13

gmytych likes this post

docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:06 pm

Thanks Donivan I was hoping maybe someone could break it down to something simple. Say like tab a to slot a, etc, etc. This has become a real head scratcher for me. Can anyone do a hand sketch for me?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:25 pm

So what needs to be hooked up,,,,the ignition switch, starter relay,,,,starter? Picture shows the orange wire goes from the S terminal on the ignition switch to the relay to turn on starter,,,,,is everything stock or been modified,,,,,,we can get you fixed up,,,but it takes us 1 step at a time until we know what you got and how far along you are.....pictures would help,,,, ,,

gmytych likes this post

docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:49 am

Thanks again Donivan. My truck is currently sitting on stands in the back yard (under cover), with absolutely nothing on it, just a bare shell. I’m installing a new wiring harness. Each wire is labeled as to where it goes. I’m installing a newer mini starter from a Ram 1500 w/5.7 motor. I have a Tuff Stuff one wire Ford style alternator. Most all of the wire diagrams I’ve studied show how to wire everything stock. Putting the one wire alternator on and the newer mini starter creates the confusion for me. I guess what I’m looking for is maybe someone can provide me a hand drawing of how to get this done (sort of like a road map).
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:43 pm

You got to invent a wiring system if you intend  all those different parts on your truck,,,,,you need to just look at a wiring diagram,,,,,,follow each circuit, everything needs power, ground or a sending unit,,,,,,start at the end of the positive battery cable, it starts off big to the starter, then a 10 gauge wire goes from it to power the fuse box and ignition switch and all the switches,,,The ignition switch powers the starter relay and other switches,,,,,Alternator needs to be connected to battery,  usually at a junction where everything ties into the 10 gauge wire connected to Positive battery cable,,,,,I would not hook up an ammeter, its nothing  but trouble on Dodges,,,,voltmeter is WAY better,,,,,start at the point where the positive battery here meets the starter cable on the starter relay,,,,and follow that 10 Re wire to see all the places  it has  to go,,, then, when you got all the equipment in place, connect the new wiring loom to all the places in the picture,,,,,,one circuit at a time,,,,there are probably 50 circuits and wires on the truck, but each one needs power, switch, ground and gauge or sender,,,,,you just got to look at the circuit, how it works and what wires it needs, then find the new wires to connect to it.

Starter system wiring Dodge_14

Starter system wiring Dodge_15

gmytych likes this post

docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:29 am

Again thanks Donivan. All my gauges will be Autolite, which will include a volt meter. Does the volt meter hook directly to the battery, or does it hook to ignition when on? Really appreciate all the help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:48 pm

Voltmeter and the preset on a radio will drain the battery if truck sits for a long time, I have a quick disconnect on all my batterys if I dont plan on starting them for awhile,,,,,,voltmeter should be turned on with the key. So is the dash and engine in? Stuff needs to be in so you know where and how to run wires,,,,good thing is our trucks dont have many wires in them, even though a new loom could be set up for a lot of modern accessories.

gmytych likes this post

docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:13 pm

Okay guys, I’ve been racking my brains (if there are any), trying to get this wiring done. Just an FYI, I’m using an after market wiring harness, so that sorta adds to the confusion. Earlier this evening I drew up a schematic of all the components I’ll be using. All the components are depicted just as they are, a 1 wire alternator, a 4 pin ECU, a 2 pin ballast, and a 4 terminal starter relay. The truck being an automatic, has a neutral safety switch. I’ve replaced the ammeter with/a volt gauge. I’ve drawn in some “connections” I believe are correct. Can someone help me with the missing connections? It would help me immensely. Thanks in Starter system wiring Img_2510
    advance,Steve
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:21 am

Finally got the info I needed from over on the FABO website. I really appreciate all these different forums and the very helpful members. Thanks to all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:45 pm