VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

IFS in a G-Van

ArrGee
    ArrGee

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2023-04-07

IFS in a G-Van Empty IFS in a G-Van

Post by ArrGee Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:21 pm

Hey Guys,
    this has ben kicking around in my head for a while.
    has anyone considered or done an ifs(independent Front Suspension) in one of these trucks ?
    there are a couple of options that grab my interest.

thoughts ?

-ArrGee

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 748
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

IFS in a G-Van Empty Re: IFS in a G-Van

Post by AzDon Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:10 am

Yes it's been done........
    It requires pretty major modifications to the van and engineering and metal working talent.....
    It would be way cheaper and easier to just get a third gen van...
    smittyG10
    smittyG10

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2018-10-25

Post by smittyG10 Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:25 pm

AzDon wrote:Yes it's been done........
    It requires pretty major modifications to the van and engineering and metal working talent.....
    It would be way cheaper and easier to just get a third gen van...

Can you point me to an example, video etc. I'm thinking a full frame and Frenching it into the body.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 748
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:24 am

There have been build blogs in the past, but they may have been lost because I can't find any of them....
    Converting an early van to have independent front suspension is a way radical remodel that will require cutting away what currently exists and welding in, with exact precision, complex assemblies....
    Once you start down this rabbit hole, there will be no turning back!
    At minimum, you will be cutting out the back of the front wheel wells and heavy modification to the frame where the steering gearbox now resides because you will need to install a 90 degree gearbox there to operate a front-steer rack and pinion.....
    All this reconfiguring will most likely affect the placement of your radiator and engine....
    Each Item that is reconfigured will affect the configuration and placement of at least five other items whose changes will affect still other items.....
    I did what seemed like a simple axle flip and learned that it probably wouldn't have worked out if I hadn't already set the engine rearward 18 inches....
    You had better be willing to change everything else to accommodate your new suspension and steering....
    And when it's all done, pray that all the math was right and it will operate like you hoped....
    108VanGuy
    108VanGuy

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2015-12-06

Post by 108VanGuy Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:21 am

MatchStick has done (or is well into the process) of an IFS conversion. I’ve seen this up close and it is indeed quite invasive. It’s a job for someone with extensive knowledge, like her.
    108VanGuy…

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:59 pm