VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

4x4 information

garagedoordennis
    garagedoordennis

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2013-04-30

4x4 information  Empty 4x4 information

Post by garagedoordennis Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:46 pm

I'm seriously considering converting my65 to 4wd. Any advice here on what may have worked for you? I know the topic has been discussed but want some newer info

Thanks you,
    MDVANMAN
    MDVANMAN

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2019-05-11

4x4 information  Empty Re: 4x4 information

Post by MDVANMAN Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:25 pm

Hi Dennis,

There are pretty much two paths you can take here: Either use taller leaf springs, a transfer case, and a driven front axle to "convert" the van, or treat the van like a body only and set it on the chassis of something else. I took the second path and I'm still working on it. Pretty happy with the way it looks but have a notion that the first way might have been easier. Do you have a thought on which way you're leaning?

My van is a '67 chevy 90" and the donor chassis was an '87 chevy 4x4.
    garagedoordennis
    garagedoordennis

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2013-04-30

Post by garagedoordennis Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:16 pm

I'm looking to use the van and install axles under it. I'm thinking gm 10 bolts. ...which are easy to come by. Just looking for advice ...what springs?...transfer case..? I want to run 31" tires and know that there are things to workout
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:53 am

Required Fab skills are a given on this type of project because nothing is "off the shelf"....

31s are unlikely to steer within the van wheel wells unless you are substantially lifted...

Driveshaft angle and steering geometry are a couple of issues that must be considered when you do a lift....

There have been a few 4wd early chevy vans done over the years that have turned out awesome and it can be done again if you are up to it!

Keep us updated!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 am