VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Factory in line fuse question

lboast
    lboast

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2020-11-01

Factory in line fuse question Empty Factory in line fuse question

Post by lboast Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:32 am

I was going through the wiring on my 1969 G-10 V-8, and found a black small gauge black wire hanging loose by the starter solenoid area. The wiring print does not show a black wire in that area even though this one is in the wiring harness with the others. that's the first mystery. When tracing small black wires further, I found a second light gauge black wire with a white stripe and an inline fuse in the factory wire loom, by the voltage regulator. I need to know how these wire into the system since they don't show up on harness the wiring print, and what fuse size goes into the fuse holder. this fuse was corroded beyond recognition.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Factory in line fuse question Empty Re: Factory in line fuse question

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:51 am

Is the boost wire to the coil connected to the R terminal on the solenoid?
    lboast
    lboast

Post by lboast Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:41 pm

[quote="donivan65"]Is the boost wire to the coil connected to the R terminal on the solenoid?[/quote
    Yes it is. It's a yellow small wire.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:15 pm

Well hook a test light to juice, and touch the wires, if it glows, that means its hooked to something,,,,then try 12 volts to them to see what comes on,,,if its small gauge, that could of been for a light, radio, alarm, CB, voltmeter, relay for fog or driving lights or tachometer......I dont know that they would put an inline fuse in the doghouse.....
    lboast
    lboast

Post by lboast Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:26 pm

donivan65 wrote:Well hook a test light to juice, and touch the wires, if it glows, that means its hooked to something,,,,then try 12 volts to them to see what comes on,,,if its small gauge, that could of been for a light, radio, alarm, CB, voltmeter, relay for fog or driving lights  or tachometer......I dont know that they would put an inline fuse in the doghouse.....
    This is an existing wire inside the factory wiring harness, so I believe it is not for an aftermarket accessory or the radio since it is hanging loose by the starter solenoid. The only black wire in the wiring print that is in that area is the fusible link. I am wondering if this wire is the link, and has been replaced by the large red wire that is coming from the starter solenoid to the terminal block on this van. This van was an original camper conversion, and does have a roof top Air Conditioner, and the extra load may have been too much for the fusible link. I don't know, Im just guessing at this point. Help me out if you know where the other end of the link should come out, so \i can look for it without Destroying the entire wiring harness.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:38 pm

That should be a 16 gauge fusible link wire from the positive battery cable to the junction block,,,,but test the hanging wires with a test light,,,,hook it to the positive battery cable or alternator output, see if the wires read NEGATIVE,,,,,,,,hook the test light to ground, turn key on and see if the wires or fuse holder read POSITIVE,,,,see whats in those wires,,,,,,,,,,if they are dead, hook juice to each one,,,,then hook the test light to ground and see if that juice comes out in the fuse holder or other wires

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:44 am