VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

I wonder…?

EdddieMello
    EdddieMello

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2019-08-28

I wonder…? Empty I wonder…?

Post by EdddieMello Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:27 pm

I wonder how difficult a job it would be to drop a GM Atlas motor in my G-10. These In-line 4’s, 5’s and 6’s were found in early 2000’s Chevy Trailblazers, Buick Bravadas and Isuzus. It would make for a nice power plant. Anyone ever heard of one being utilized?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Atlas_engine
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

I wonder…? Empty Re: I wonder…?

Post by savage Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 am

Seems like somebody was thinking about  putting one in a early??
    Most thought the motor was too high to close the doghouse lid??
    Can't remember if it was on this site or VCVC
    13-ball
    13-ball

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2020-07-23

Post by 13-ball Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:01 pm

I was thinking of doing that very thing.  I couldn't find a good engine/transmission package near me to buy and got all impatient.  From looking at dimensions on the internet it looked to me like it'd be a good fit.  Think I would have been much happier with an Atlas instead of what I actually did.

I ended up buying a Chevy LFX engine - then stubbornly carried on.  Thought was that it's a little aluminum V6 and will nestle right in there.  Wrong!  But the Miata guys seem to like it...  Yes, I do have it wedged in (not running yet) but the LFX is freakishly wide - especially across the front.  Probably wider than a Chevy LS V8.  Much doghouse surgery to be done.  In my opinion the Atlas ought to be be much easier.  

This is what the mock up looks like.

I wonder…? 20200917

savage and EdddieMello like this post

AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:17 pm

I've got one in my Trailblazer......It runs good, but has never ever gotten over 21 mpg and is usually around 12-13 city and 15-16 highway.......It's a very obese engine for being 4.2 litres.....Tall and wide and the layout of the accessory drive is wrong for an early van....Be ready to do a bunch of fab work!.....
    They are 270 HP, but my choice for an exotic six would be a 4.1 Pontiac overhead cam six that was standard in the 67-69 Firebird Sprint...

savage and EdddieMello like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:26 am