VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Removing the motor

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Removing the motor Empty Removing the motor

Post by Keith D Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Before I get too far along with the interior I will probably want to remove the motor.

All the pictures that I've seen of the motor being removed show a cherry picker going through the side doors to pull the motor.

Since there is no cross member under the engine or tranny is it possible to jack the van up some, put it on jack stands and drop the motor out the bottom instead?

Before I pull a motor I remove the carb, intake and heads to make it lighter and give more room to maneuver. In this case I also would pull the tranny also.

Any thoughts about problems dropping the motor down? Anyone with any experience either way, thoughts which would be better / easier?

Thanks...Keith

OutofSight
    OutofSight

Number of posts : 1558
    Registration date : 2015-11-19

Removing the motor Empty Re: Removing the motor

Post by OutofSight Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:35 pm

I have always pulled them through the barn doors, never had an issue.Removing the motor B8f5b110

gmytych and vanny like this post

gary h
    gary h

Number of posts : 474
    Registration date : 2012-10-19

Post by gary h Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:58 pm

I used the Right Front Door opening to remove and install the Engine W/Trans. in my Pick-Up.   Brian Bowie told me that tip years ago. cheers

gmytych likes this post

sweetvan
    sweetvan

Number of posts : 242
    Registration date : 2013-12-16

Post by sweetvan Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:49 am

Keith,
    What engine do you have? For a 273, the service manual says to raise the van on a hoist, disconnect everything and drain fluids, support the engine and transmission as a unit on a suitable jack stand, remove the engine support bolt, front engine mount lower stud nuts, the right engine support bracket from the body and left front motor mount from the engine, then lower the engine and transmission assembly. I have not removed an engine myself.
    Richard

Last edited by sweetvan on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

gmytych likes this post

Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Post by Keith D Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:46 pm

sweetvan wrote:Keith,
    What engine do you have? For a 273, the service manual says to raise the van on a hoist, disconnect everything and drain fluids, support the engine and transmission as a unit on a suitable jack stand, remove the engine support bolt, front engine mount lower stud nuts, the right engine support bracket from the body and left front motor mount from the engine, then lower the engine and transmission assembly. I have not removed an engine myself.
    Richard

It's a 318, hopefully over this winter it will become a stroked 340 (I have a block that needs to be checked out by a machine shop) to 372 cubes.

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

gmytych likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 am