VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Empty Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets

Post by VANagain Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:53 am

When I first restored my van, I replaced all the various grommets, bushings, and washers on all the carb linkage to try to tighten things up. 12 years later it’s time to do it again. But I’m having a heck of a time finding this type of grommet! It has a metal sleeve/washer with rubber that tapers to fit into the “rounded” hole in the bracket.

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Carb_l11

I’ve done a lot of searching online but this is the one that shows up all the time for, like, 30 years of GMs!

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Carb_l10

Then I realized what I’m looking for is what is used on my automatic shifter linkage. The shifter arm also has a “rounded” hole that the grommet fits into (on the bottom side, anyway).

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Shifte10

But just now I took a closer look at the diagram in our maintenance manual and their drawing looks just like the one that keeps showing up in my searches!! So the correct part has been staring me in the face all along? The diagram makes it look like it just goes alongside the bracket, which wouldn’t work. So, what, do you work the rubber ring into the hole and the inserting the plastic sleeve keeps it from coming out?

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets C0fc8610

Well, let me know if anyone knows where to get the kind for the shifter arm. I’d like to replace them too.

Thanks

gmytych likes this post

VANagain
    VANagain

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Empty Re: Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets

Post by VANagain Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:52 am

savage, gmytych and Russell like this post

VANagain
    VANagain

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Empty Re: Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets

Post by VANagain Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 pm

So, what do you guys have on yours? I’d like to know if the rubber ring and plastic sleeve work any better. I guess I could just buy a couple and try them. They’re very inexpensive.
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:42 am

Another reference:
    https://www.dansclassic.com/products.cfm?md=946&kys=&yr=1965&c=&btn_search=1

Also the plastic works fine for the lower column control arms (P/N ATP JO-119)
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 748
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Those crude linkages have always reminded me of stuff you might find on an old lawnmower....When I started taking my 69 apart for refurbishment, the clutch linkage bellcrank arms had almost completely sawed through the rod ends....
    My throttle and shift linkages have been converted to marine cable with heim ends bolted tightly together, metal2metal (no bushings!)
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:23 pm

“...like on an old lawnmower”! You are right about that, AzDon!

It works fine enough but I do like to eliminate any slop that I can. I ordered that rubber grommet and plastic sleeve but it’s much too big for the hole. I guess I’ll go back to the shifter grommet.

Can’t find Accelerator Rod Grommets Cf7cb410

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:47 pm