VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums

Arkansastraveler70
    Arkansastraveler70

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2020-06-18

Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums  Empty Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums

Post by Arkansastraveler70 Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:55 pm

I ordered Brake drums for the rear wheels from Rock auto. Other than feeling heavier than the originals that look the same size, maybe a slight bit deeper. I'm going to replace all the springs and pads but I wanted to make sure these drums would fit. I'll be damned if they seem a bit too small to slip on. Sitting the new hub on the old one they look the exact same size.
    Rock Auto said this was the one that would fit, but I cant get it on. whats going on?
    here is the part # BQ PDR0182.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums  Empty Re: Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:35 pm

Are the brake adjuster wheels screwed all the way in if you are trying to slip it over brake shoes that are on the backing plate?

,,,and,,,,,,if you are doing the rear brakes,,,,make sure the parking brake cable is loose and not on,,,,

jrdunn96 and Arkansastraveler70 like this post

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums  Empty Re: Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums

Post by dix Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:55 am

good info don

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Arkansastraveler70 wrote:look the same size, maybe a slight bit deeper... I wanted to make sure these drums would fit. I'll be damned if they seem a bit too small to slip on.
    Sitting the new hub on the old one they look the exact same size.

Too small in which way?
    Flip the drum backwards and make sure the lug holes align and the center hole will fit over the axle stub.
    Make sure the depth is the same. Some brakes were 2.5" deep. This would bottom out on the backing plate before the drum is seated on the axle. This is easy to check by using a ruler to check the finish cut width inside the drum. It will be a bit wider than the spec (2").

Now, if the only thing hanging up the drum from slipping over the axle and seating are the brake shoes, you will have to either remove them completely or turn the adjuster so the shoes contract enough to allow the drum to slip over, as donnivan mentioned.
    The drums must be 'unused' if they need to be returned, so try not to get them all dirty and scuffed slipping them over old parts. How would you feel if you got 'new' parts that had grubby prints, brake dust and scratches on them?
    Old drums will be turned or cut to a larger inside diameter, so this is very common and normal for a basic brake job. The legal maximum limit on turning is 0.060" or "sixty thousandths". On a 10" drum, it should not be cut past 10.060", although if it was cut close to or at the limit, it can be worn to even larger.

Beyond the basic brake shoe, hardware and drum replacement, check the outer axle bearings, backing plate for bending or gouges, the E brake components/operation and lug studs and nuts for wear, along with the rear spring bushings, axle fluid level and tightness of spring/hanger/driveshaft fasteners.

Did i mess up again ??... Brake Drums  Giphy

Arkansastraveler70 likes this post

Arkansastraveler70
    Arkansastraveler70

Post by Arkansastraveler70 Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:43 am

Thanks!
    Arkansastraveler70
    Arkansastraveler70

Post by Arkansastraveler70 Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:47 am

I can't get the adjuster to budge but I have a brake spring kit and new adjusters on the way.
    Thanks for all the info!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:12 pm

It's a good idea for anyone to get new self adjuster parts, Rock Auto has Raybestos H2514 (Left Rear) and H2515 (Right Rear) for under $10 bucks each.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Arkie,,,,,so what about the wheel cylinders and master cylinder,,,,,are you doing front brakes or just trying to get it to roll,,,,,,,,whats the plan?
    Arkansastraveler70
    Arkansastraveler70

Post by Arkansastraveler70 Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Really I just need it to roll for now, but I'm replacing all the springs, the self adjusters, the wheel cylinders, and probably the Master cylinder. Back Brakes for now.
    I finally got the adjusters to turn and was able to get the pads to move in and i was able to get the new Drum to fit !
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:16 pm

,,,,,,,,,,you are on your way!!!!!!!!!!

savage likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am