VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
jkr
wacko
6 posters

First car show

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

First car show Empty First car show

Post by wacko Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Ok, so got a temporary permit and drove my van 45 min to the annual fathers day car show in Mission, BC.
    It has about 1000 cars (approx) and a little bit of everything. I had the only early van there with the exception of a very nice Corvair Rampside Pickup.

First car show 2174361410103359889S600x600Q85

First car show 2916613870103359889S600x600Q85

First car show 2328181170103359889S600x600Q85

First car show 2642183040103359889S600x600Q85
    wacko
    wacko

First car show Empty Re: First car show

Post by wacko Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:22 pm

So since this was really the first time since I drove my van home that I have driven it any distance, I have a question. Is a gasoline / exhaust smell within the cab normal for these vans? Don't really notice it while driving but when you get out and then get back in after being outside in the fresh air for a few minutes it smells a little fumey? I don't have a gasket on the doghouse and have a couple small holes in the doghouse to repair. My exhaust also ends under the van currently as opposed to out the side or rear. And finally i have a couple open bolt holes in the floor of the rear of the van that haven't been plugged yet.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Here is one of me with the van. No mocking my ugly mug.

First car show 2841761710103359889S600x600Q85
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:34 pm

its called heat soak and its the fuel in the carb "boiling" or percolating when the engine isn't running. the fan blows it away while driving. i fondly remember my van from the 70's doing the same thing as my current ride. a boat bilge blower does work but they are noisey when running and you usually wind up chasing the hose all over the place or run over it.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:18 pm

So it is normal, and from what you are saying is that those fumes aren't coming in the vehicle while driving? Just when you stop and the fan turns off?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:39 pm

wacko fix those holes and get a doghouse gasket @ restoration Specialties and that will cure most of your problem. You may still smell a little, but no doghouse gasket is most of your problem.

By the way the van looks great!!!!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Yeah , it is lookin good, really stands out in that crowd. love the wheels. Get your exhaust dumping outside of the mian body if you can , there are a couple sneaky places the fumes can come in if there are any rust thrus in the backsides of the rocker panels also.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

Post by sasktrini Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:54 pm

That's awesome that you did that wacko! Fix that leak, and come camping at Waterton Aug long wknd!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:17 am

wacko wrote:So since this was really the first time since I drove my van home that I have driven it any distance, I have a question. Is a gasoline / exhaust smell within the cab normal for these vans? Don't really notice it while driving but when you get out and then get back in after being outside in the fresh air for a few minutes it smells a little fumey? I don't have a gasket on the doghouse and have a couple small holes in the doghouse to repair. My exhaust also ends under the van currently as opposed to out the side or rear. And finally i have a couple open bolt holes in the floor of the rear of the van that haven't been plugged yet.

That smell is normal,,,,,for an Early Van,,,,the carb is vented into the doghouse and when you shut the engine down, the heat from the engine rises and can't get out. Newer vehicles have a sealed system with a charcoal cannister to store those fumes until the engine starts and burns them. My solution was to put a Hamburger Fan on mine,,,,,,so when I stop to eat, I turn on this fan, it cools the engine and blows the fumes out and I can get back in my van and eat my food without the smell. And you don't have to deal with a bunch of black smoke when you start the engine. And its great if you are stuck in traffic, or going up a hill,,,,,just turn it on,,,,and watch the temp gauge drop. And it can be as simple as mounting one of those 12 volt clip on fans on the bellypan. I would never leave home without it,,,,,

First car show Pictur16

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am