VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles?

Fcat
    Fcat

Number of posts : 78
    Registration date : 2019-02-11

Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles? Empty Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles?

Post by Fcat Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:54 am

Hi All

The weather is looking better now so I'm trying to get as much done to the van as I can before it's pressed into service.

I'm doing a colour change from basecoat red metallic (no clearcoat!) back to almost original light blue. The last respray looks like it was done in a lunch break - nothing removed and some 'creative' masking.

I'm taking the doors off to sort sagging hinges and will paint them off the van but I can't work out how to remove the exterior door handle on the rear door (1969 Gen2) - I can feel ends of one of the bolts and its nut on the inside and I can see the partially exposed screw heads on the outside - is there a way to remove the handle lever to get to the screw heads?

Thanks
    Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles? Gen2-n10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12245
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles? Empty Re: Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles?

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 am

You reach in back there and pull off the U shaped clip that holds the handle on to get to the screws,,,,

Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles? Dscn0616

Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles? Dscn0617
    Fcat
    Fcat

Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles? Empty Re: Secret/easy way to remove rear door handles?

Post by Fcat Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks Donivan

Knew it would be simple - gotta love the way they are put together!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:21 am

When you go to putting them back on, put the spring clips on before you screw the piece back on the door. Then you can push the handle in and the clip will do it's thing. Also, type in "sagging door handles" in the search bar and you will see what these guys told me to do to fix mine.
    Fcat
    Fcat

Post by Fcat Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks Samsvan good tip and thanks for reminding me about the sagging handle - I was just thinking about that!
    108VanGuy
    108VanGuy

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2015-12-06

Post by 108VanGuy Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 am

When removing the clips, I drag a shop rag across the end of the clip. The rag catches the clip end and I pull up. Bad thing is the clip usually drops into the door bottom and has to be retrieved with a magnet.
    108VanGuy...
    Fcat
    Fcat

Post by Fcat Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 am

good trick re the rag - ill do it on my next doors - and yup, had to turn the door upside down and shake it (good exercise) - found a few 'spare' screws too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 3:13 am