VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon

bluehorseshoe
    bluehorseshoe

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2015-09-26

To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon Empty To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon

Post by bluehorseshoe Mon May 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Hello Everyone,

My 64 Falcon Club Wagon still has the original rubber mats for the front and rear of the van.  They are, as you could imagine, in worn condition but still in a single piece.  The van rides really LOUD at my screaming top speeds of 55-60, so my thinking has been to sound deaden the interior starting with the floor areas, layer with MVF, then slap a new carpet set on top.  My only concern is, I hesitate to remove anything original. But I do need to address the noise as it's eating away at the enjoyment of the ride.  

Any feedback from those more experienced here?

Thanks everyone,

Adam in SF Bay Area
    Trainmaster
    Trainmaster

Number of posts : 36
    Registration date : 2018-06-04

To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon Empty Re: To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon

Post by Trainmaster Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:24 pm

This is an old post, but I'll reply with my thoughts anyway.  There were two types of floor mats offered in the Econolines.  Not sure how they relate to the Club Wagons.  The standard vans had black rubber floor mats while the Custom Cab option included "Color keyed printed plastic" mats.  

The printed ones were color matched to the interior and had a photo of carpet silk screened on the surface.  I'm not kidding.  A hoard of blue ones were offered for sale a couple of years ago, so you may find a blue one.  I never even saw one in another color, and they weren't even listed in the '74 parts book but they were also made in beige, green and red.  I restored my original red interior in blue only because that was the only deluxe color mat available. They don't hold up well.  The carpet picture is worn off parts of mine after 1500 miles.

I doubt you'll find any replacement that resembles the deluxe mats, though the black rubber is easy.  Last I saw, MACS offers the rubber ones.  The new rubber ones have a marking to cut out the outline of the floor heater box for the earlier vans, and the mold they are made from is pretty poor so there are imperfections.  

Keeping it original?  Quite a philosophical question.  Depends, I guess on how bad the old one is...  I prefer to hold on to old work so long as it's serviceable.  When it turns to outright garbage and doesn't do its job, then it's time for it to go...

if there are just a few tears, patch them with inner tube glued to the back with contact cement.

Eddie, New York
    '67 Truck
    bluehorseshoe
    bluehorseshoe

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2015-09-26

To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon Empty Re: To replace or not replace original Rubber Mats - Falcon Club Wagon

Post by bluehorseshoe Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Eddie,

Thanks for the feedback. Mine are indeed the blue rubber mats with the carpet moulding on top. Lots of tears and disintegration in some areas. I'm told a member here, Fred Carello =, makes rug kits and spoke with him once about a set. I need to follow up with hi, I think not matter what i'd do, Id keep the old rubber just because.

Regardless, thank you for providing your POV and mat info.

Best,
    Adam in SF Bay Area

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 am