VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
kookykrispy
6 posters

fixing a wavy roof... any veteran body guys? how do we do this?

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

fixing a wavy roof...  any veteran body guys?   how do we do this? Empty fixing a wavy roof... any veteran body guys? how do we do this?

Post by kookykrispy Fri May 22, 2009 9:12 pm

My 65 GMC has a wavy roof from somebody climbing/standing up there... what is the best way to fix this? I'd like to hear from an experienced bodyman about what it takes to straighten a bent roof.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

fixing a wavy roof...  any veteran body guys?   how do we do this? Empty Re: fixing a wavy roof... any veteran body guys? how do we do this?

Post by donivan65 Fri May 22, 2009 9:24 pm

It is stretched,,,,,,,one way is by heating it then quenching it with a rag with cool water on it to shrink it back to where it needs to be,,,,,,they make some disks for a grinder that heat up the metal fast or a gentle hand with a torch will do,,,,,,,,and there are shrinking hammers and dollies,,,,,,
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

fixing a wavy roof...  any veteran body guys?   how do we do this? Empty Re: fixing a wavy roof... any veteran body guys? how do we do this?

Post by kookykrispy Fri May 22, 2009 9:28 pm

donivan65 wrote:It is stretched,,,,,,,one way is by heating it then quenching it with a rag with cool water on it to shrink it back to where it needs to be,,,,,,they make some disks for a grinder that heat up the metal fast or a gentle hand with a torch will do,,,,,,,,and there are shrinking hammers and dollies,,,,,,

My dad's got an oxy/acetylene torch rig I can borrow... but I'm a little reluctant to take it to my van. some pics would be great. I'm gonna check google
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri May 22, 2009 9:34 pm

This Guy Had a Real messed up Roof .... as I can Remember !!!!!!!

http://vintage-vans.smugmug.com/gallery/2194430_TG6L2#P-1-15

Not Sure if Pat still comes By Here He sold the Van awhile Back to some Guy that said he was Gonna sell it for Parts !!!!! Go Figure ...........

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 pm

fixing a wavy roof...  any veteran body guys?   how do we do this? Metal_10
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Sat May 23, 2009 9:19 am

Not trying to hijack the thread but I think it may be along the same lines, one of my rear doors has a shallow dent. You can push it out from the inside quite easily but if you bump it at all from the outside it just pops back in. Would the shrinking disc be something that would fix this??? Any other suggestions?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 23, 2009 10:30 am

That is called oil canning,,,,,from those old time oil cans that you pressed on the bottom to make the oil come out,,,,,,,and if a dent pops back out,,,,,then it is stretched,,,,,,you need to shrink it back into place,,,,,,do a google search,,,,,,some guy uses the lid off a pot mounted to his grinder to rub against the dent until its hot then cools it to shrink it,,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat May 23, 2009 10:43 am

jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat May 23, 2009 11:03 am

to do this takes SKILL. i worked in a body shop for 14 years (doing mechanical repairs) and i watched some of the guys do this every chance i could get. to heat and shrink metal is an art form and for a novice to do would be difficult if not impossible. to quote the man who did most of my repairs " this damn thing is like trying to straighten an oil drum the metals so tough."it's also a dying craft such as lead filling instead of bondo.
    i'm not saying you can't do it but you could easily make it worse by trying so have a back up plan before starting................good luck
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Sat May 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Would a small propane torch get the metal hot enough to try the torch method? I have one of these

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/WeldingSoldering/Torches/PRD~0587509P/Mastercraft%2B5-piece%2BPropane%2BTorch%2BKit.jsp
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat May 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I have to echo jkr , a buddy and I tried the shrink thing on a challenger one time and darn near ruined a whole quarter panel for the sake of badly patched antennae hole. practice on something that doesnt matter first for sure.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Sat May 23, 2009 6:19 pm

yes a propane torch would get it lots hot, and i have seen a 120 disc on an orbital sander warp metal in the wrong hands.... me on my truck!!!! thats why i prefer grease and oil under my fingernails and not body dust.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:08 am