VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
Digz
samsvan
m1dadio
cole63
8 posters

What type of wood for interior panels?

cole63
    cole63

Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2013-05-19

What type of wood for interior panels? Empty What type of wood for interior panels?

Post by cole63 Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:16 am

I'm wanting begin on the interior of my 65'. Wondering what type and size of wood everyone is using? Plywood? Luan? Etc... My plan is to wrap the paneling in a vinyl or some other material, so a finished wood is not needed. Thanks.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

What type of wood for interior panels? Empty Re: What type of wood for interior panels?

Post by m1dadio Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 pm

the stuff to use is called "door skin" its thin 3 or 5 ply mahogany. most lumber yard/hardware places. different thicknesses as thin as 1/16 and different finishes or rough and cheep too.

its rigged but flexible and does not sag when damp and it comes in  3, 4 and 5 feet wide X 4,6,8 and 10 foot lengths.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

What type of wood for interior panels? Empty Re: What type of wood for interior panels?

Post by samsvan Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:42 pm

The guy that did my interior used Thermoply for the panels. It's a foil faced dense cardboard material for exterior wall sheathing on houses. It bends easy enough and you can get it at any lumber yard. I'll try to get some pictures of the clips he used to hold the panels in place tomorrow. Pretty slick.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:00 pm

It kind of depends on how tough you want it to be. If you're going to wrap it in foam and vinyl and it's pretty much cosmetic, I'd find some 1/8 paneling. If you can check out a mobile home or RV surplus supply outlet, the paneling can be found in 8'-6" lengths and it makes a better fit at the roof line as you can get 2 pieces that reach all the way and vertical is stronger than sideways. Also it makes the jump from the back doors to the cab roof support with out piecing it in on a 90" type wheel base. If your going to be bouncing bikes and kids off it you may want to consider a 1/4" product. That door skin stuff sounds interesting and would be tough with that many plies. Running furring strip laterally will strengthen it also and you can cleat in support for seams. I used steel studding for laterals and notched around the ribs to keep flush and lose les space. But all ways work.
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Here's some pictures of the clips that hold my interior panels on. They're pushed through from the finished side then upholstered over with vinyl. The Thermoply also has an "R" value so it insulates too. It only comes in 4x8 sheets though which was fine for my van because it's a window van. I also got my back seat done so I had to put a couple shots of it in there too. What type of wood for interior panels? Img_1020
    What type of wood for interior panels? Img_1022
    What type of wood for interior panels? Img_1023
    What type of wood for interior panels? Img_1021
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Wow, what excellent job on that interior! That thermo-ply cardboard stuff sounds good. It bends well? Both ways or just one?
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:28 am

WOW BEAUTIFUL work!!!!!
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 am

Very nice!
    samsvan
    samsvan

Post by samsvan Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Well thanks, guys! I'm really happy with the interior work. To answer Seth, Thermoply bends either way. It has no grain or direction but for compound bends, you would have to do some extra cutting. For a panel van like Coles, you would cut the panels to the right height, install the clips and drill matching holes in the ribs of your van, wrap the panels and install them side by side. We used 1 1/2" rips wrapped in matching vinyl to cover the butt joined seams. These are face screwed on for a little extra holding power.
    Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:45 pm

That is one Very Nice interior, Sam! Very Happy cheers

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:07 am