VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements?

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements? Empty Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements?

Post by Skulptorchaz Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey guys,
    While I was up under my dash, i saw that my ignition switch was wrapped with electrical tape. Not a n encouraging sign.
    Can we get exact replacements ? I went to LMC and they have an ignition switch but I am not sure it looks like the original one. (The picture is lame)
    Any suggestions on this?
    Thanks!!!!
    Chaz
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements? Empty Re: Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements?

Post by Vantasia Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:12 pm

You can still get replacement style switches. eBay, NAPA, Rock Auto, etc....Look around for a Remy NOS one, lots out there...this ad has pics of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignition-Switch-Lock-Cylinder-With-GM-Keys-Camaro-Chevelle-Nova-1966-1967-/302190013756?hash=item465bedad3c:g:usgAAOSwe-FU54OP&vxp=mtr.

The original lock cylinder that goes into the switch had a raised key slot that could be turned without the key inserted, the key was only used to put it in the lock position, that's the way trucks were in the 1960's. Similar to this:
    Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements? S-l16014
    Most are replaced with a flat cylinder that needs the key all the time.  That's why the instrument cluster is marked Lock-Off-On....
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements? Empty Re: Ignition switch - can we get exact replacements?

Post by jrinaman Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:20 pm

That is exactly what I am talking about Vantasia. My '56 Chevy 210 is the same concept. I rarely, if ever, use the key. Most people have no clue. Smile Just like the gas door on my '56. Smile Smile I do not want the flat cylinder.
    So, can we still get the one with tabs?
    Thanks!!!!!
    Chaz
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 am

Skulptorchaz wrote:That is exactly what I am talking about Vantasia. My '56 Chevy 210 is the same concept. I rarely, if ever, use the key. Most people have no clue. Smile Just like the gas door on my '56. Smile Smile I do not want the flat cylinder.
    So, can we still get the one with tabs?
    Thanks!!!!!
    Chaz
    I have seen them on eBay but usually as a set with the key, but a good locksmith I think can swap or reset the cylinder to match your key so it matches the door locks if you still have the original setup. My door locks don't match my ignition key, so I have two keys, no big deal. But look around, I'm sure the raised style switch is available.
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:24 am

So I used is about the only way, huh. I was hoping for re-pop but not a big deal. My doors are lacking in the lock department as well. Some don't even have locks.
    Thanks a bunch!!
    Chaz
    KISSfan
    KISSfan

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2016-08-23

Post by KISSfan Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:13 pm

I bought this one for my '67. Haven't tried to install it yet. Waiting for spring!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172427717514?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm sure that would be fine but I want to keep the "tabs". I just like'em.
    jrinaman
    jrinaman

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2011-03-10

Post by jrinaman Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

the switch and cylinder are sold separately. if your switch is bad, remove your cylinder and reuse it. turn it back counterclockwise, insert a paperclip in the small hole to depress release and it should come right out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:42 pm