VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
Big W
6 posters

overheating

overheating Empty overheating

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:19 am

I have noticed some discussion regarding overheating in COE vehicles here and there. My A100 Pup isn't on the road quite yet, but I was thinking that, if the V8 between the seats runs hot, I would vent it thru the rear of the doghouse into the pickup bed.

I thought I'd cut a rectangular hole and install house-type heat duct with grate or a pair of  chrome tailpipe extensions with mesh inserts. The bed won't be carrying anything but a spare in the rear.

I'm not concerned with keeping everything stock- the engine/tranny are GM.

Thoughts?

overheating Empty Re: overheating

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:53 pm

hastingsman wrote:
    I'm not concerned with keeping everything stock- the engine/tranny are GM.

Thoughts?

Ditch the GM crap for MOPAR, that would be a good start!! You just lost a boatload of brownie points with me.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:08 am

Sorry you feel that way, 69A100. If all the guys on the planet liked short blonde gals with big...brains..., then where would that leave the tall brunettes?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:49 am

The way I see it....if you run a V8 in these little dog houses, you need a NEW rad and extra fans and MORE air flow. Regardless of what V8 you run, these vans and trucks need 3 or 4 core rads and more air flow. They were all crap from the factory with boiling over at lights. It's been said in this forum many times....if you ain't moving, you ain't cooling. I run a GM in my Ford and have widened my dog house, new rad, and electric fan. It's going to work great. Fallow other peoples leads...if it worked for them, it will most likely work for you if the applications are sum what the same.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:46 am

,,,,,,you do what you want with your little Dodge,,,,,,,,,,,thats what its all about,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:53 pm

Thank you,Big W and donivan, for your replies. Personally, I love oddball stuff, and look for it at shows.

This A100 pickup has a new 4 core radiator and water pump, and a 160 thermostat. The belly pan is in place, and the very few test miles I've driven have been 160-ish on the new gauge.

My concern- unfounded at this point- is overheating once I take a real trip. Trying to think ahead, I'm wondering why the vent system I described would or wouldn't work. Has it been done? Seems so simple, should provide air flow and pull the hot air out of the doghouse.

I'd consider a hood scoop...if I had a hood.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:07 pm

out here, we run an electric fan on a twist timer to push air up towards the radiator to help cool it and when you park, it gets rid of the heat soak and smell ,,,,,,you got something like that?

overheating Hambur10
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:19 pm

hastingsman wrote:Thank you,Big W and donivan, for your replies. Personally, I love oddball stuff, and look for it at shows.

This A100 pickup has a new 4 core radiator and water pump, and a 160 thermostat.  The belly pan is in place, and the very few test miles I've driven have been 160-ish on the new gauge.

My concern- unfounded at this point- is overheating once I take a real trip. Trying to think ahead, I'm wondering why the vent system I described would or wouldn't work. Has it been done? Seems so simple, should provide air flow and pull the hot air out of the doghouse.

I'd consider a hood scoop...if I had a hood.

Let it idle in the drive on a hot day for a long time and watch the temps. Take it on the highway and run it hard first if it makes you feel better. That will tell you if you're going to have a problem. The problems come sitting in traffic and at lights, Stop and go idling and not moving much air.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:33 pm

the scoop in the belly pan will help or a tunnel cut in the floor and into the front of the dog house,
    but i'd make it strong if it were me , just to keep some support between you and the road.
    for me headers ran cooler than factory exhaust manifolds. boiling the gas is a problem and the lack of air movement in the back of the dog house

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 am

[quote="donivan65"]out here, we run an electric fan on a twist timer to push air up towards the radiator to help cool it and  when you park, it gets rid of the heat soak and smell ,,,,,,you got something like that?

Quite a set-up you've got, food for thought. Thanks for the pic.

Maybe a small electric fan in the front of the doghouse to push hot air out the rear vents.

At the rate I'm going on this build, I will probably have all winter to putz with it.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:23 am

If you were going to use a small fan in the dog house to push the hot air out ,
    I'd install a fan with a cover or a tunnel to the out side up high to draw the air out
    creating a better flow. ??

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:33 am

dix wrote:If you were going to use a small fan in the dog house to push the hot air out ,
    I'd install a fan with a cover or a tunnel   to  the out side up high to draw the air out
    creating a better flow. ??

Interesting...like a fan attached to the rear vent(s) to suck the hot air out. Thermostat control for parking.

Not sure I even have a cooling problem yet, just want to be able to address it quickly once this thing is on the road.

Thanks to all for the input.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 am

Please don't butcher your vintage sheetmetal by cutting holes in the body or cab.  There is no reason to do this.  

Once you make a cut like that, it is nearly impossible to put back to original. And cutting a hole is not necessary anyway. No

Any issues with running hot can be fixed without butchery like you are describing in your opening statement.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:08 am

overheating A100_s10
    this one has side scoops right behind the driver / passenger doors  in to the dog house.

overheating A100_t10
    this one is running a 426  hemi with a tunnel neither of these are butchered,!!!  
    instead they were done very well
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 am

after looking at where you live you should make your way to norwalk this week end coming july 29th - 30th -31st. you can see all of these trucks in person , we get to gather every year at summit raceway,
    we do get at least 4 from detroit every year

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:23 pm

I think you definitely have to butcher some stuff to fit a hemi in there! haha
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:48 pm

fraid not . it even fits in the dodge dog house
    you really need to get out more often ,
    all the wheel standers run or ran hemi's

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Methinks the term "butcher" means different things to different people. Well done and tasteful modifications, even extreme ones, could be considered "improvements" or sometimes "art". The trucks pictured above are works of art in my book.

I guess I'll concentrate on making the Pup roadworthy and see how it does, heat-wise. Appreciate the input, and I have lots to think about when my old pal Insomnia visits!
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:21 pm

First, don't listen to someone telling you what to do with your truck. Put in the motor you want, cut the original floor if need be. These trucks are to be driven and have fun with. If your concerned about it staying in original condition buy a corvette and leave it in your garage and dust it once a month.
    My truck has a v8 pushing about 650 hp. Keeping it cool is a real struggle. I cut a hole in the rear wall to the bed and installed a fan to suck the hot air out. I have a 3 core radiator with electric
    Fan. I run without a thermostat, tried a few stats but all made it run hotter. I have what looks like a big washer in its place, summit sells them for race motors. I use the belly pan . I have just installed a dodge dog house for a little more breathing room. I run headers and just wrapped them.
    With all this I'm running at 210 .. I am not happy at this temperature, want to get it down to about 190. Still trying new things, thinking about doing some more venting in the dog house. Also looking for a snorkel air cleaner to get fresh air to the carb instead on the hot air it now gets from inside the dog house.
    If you are interested in my setup pm me and I'll send you pictures.
    This site has always been about helping each other not criticizing another members ideas.
    Hope this helps.
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by dix Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:59 am

well put donn

Sponsored content