VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
Seth G
donivan65
theogbigd
7 posters

Econoline shuts off while driving

theogbigd
    theogbigd

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2015-11-10

Econoline shuts off while driving Empty Econoline shuts off while driving

Post by theogbigd Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 pm

I replaced the fuel filter with the airtex fuel filter because it was leaking. I rebuilt the carb, but still leaks when on. It starts fine but when I drive it, it cuts off on me and stalls. I heard the carbs are an issue on these Econolines. I have the 1100 autolite carb. Anyone else have this problem?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Econoline shuts off while driving Empty Re: Econoline shuts off while driving

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Does it start back up quickly,,,,,does it do it all the time,,,,,at high speed,,,,,at idle?
    theogbigd
    theogbigd

Post by theogbigd Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:57 am

No, it takes a while to start up. Sometimes is doesn't start just cranks. It happened to me when I was shifting into 2nd gear and it just cut off.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:01 am

If you can get it to stop, take the air cleaner off, spray some carburetor cleaner down into the carb,,,,,see if it starts,,,,,that adds fuel,,,,,tells you if you aint getting any,,,,,,look down in there 1st,,,,do you smell or see gas down in the carb,,,,,,,could be a part problem,,,,,,so run some tests,,,see what you get,,,,find us some clues,,,,,,
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Yes the carbs are a problem. You say you rebuilt it and it "still leaks". I assume it's leaking @ the top around the bowl gasket, if so it's likely that the top is warped from being over tightened and b/c it's not very stout anyway. Unless it's really bad the gasket will swell and will seal before long. The stumbling is a common problem. If it's got all it's check balls and the weight in their proper places it's probably a vacuum leak, maybe worn throttle shaft. Unless it's flooding, did you set the float to spec? How does it do when it's warmed up? Did you replace the scv? Have you ever adjusted the timing? These engines like a lot of initial timing, start around 8-10 deg btdc, don't go more than 15 and listen for pinging under load if it likes being on the high end. But find and fix any fixable vacuum leaks first.
    Udo
    Udo

Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2014-07-07

Post by Udo Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:52 am

My rebuild kit's bowl gasket leaked too...put the old one back in and been fine since.
    theogbigd
    theogbigd

Post by theogbigd Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm

We put everything back into place. It leaks where the 'hanger unit' is at. Sorry forgot the name of it. It may be that my points are off. The distributor is pretty shot. That's probably why I lost power while driving.
    Udo
    Udo

Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2014-07-07

Post by Udo Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm

The float?
    You are talking about the carb still, yeah?
    theogbigd
    theogbigd

Post by theogbigd Tue May 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Yea the float.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed May 04, 2016 5:04 am

My 67 did that to me yesterday. Sitting at a traffic light and it was just like you turned off the key. Just died. Checked the spark and it didn't have any. Had it towed home. It started right up. Found out the condenser was bad. I replaced it and it's fine now.

Duane.
    theogbigd
    theogbigd

Post by theogbigd Wed May 04, 2016 8:39 am

I'm getting a new one also. I have the same issue no spark.
    Seth G
    Seth G

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed May 04, 2016 8:47 pm

A good cure for the lids on these carb tops is to spray glue sandpaper on a pc of glass or scrap of flat stone and flatten it, it's easier than trying to heat and straighten it if it isn't to bad. Also make sure the weight above the ball that needs it is there and if not make one. I have a pertronix unit in my old 170 here in the garage if you need it or want one, PM me.
    theogbigd
    theogbigd

Post by theogbigd Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Appreciate the advice, I ordered a pertronix already. Thanks though.
    SuperJason
    SuperJason

Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2011-10-03

Post by SuperJason Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 am

I had a similar issue with stalling while driving.  Sometimes it would re-start, sometimes it wouldn't.  After months of trial and error, it appears that it was the fuel pump.  It's been replaced and no issues since.   Worth a look.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 am

Float level!! or= Needle & seat!! it sounds like a gas flooding problem 1st.! When thats all cured-"No flooding" Id look into replacing the fuel pump! Use only a metal fuel filter-NOT !! a see thru plastic one!! There are ONLY 3 Things that make a engine run or quit! Fuel, spark & compression!! Always think entire systems! ie: fuel system =Tank to carb!
    theogbigd
    theogbigd

Post by theogbigd Tue May 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Appreciate the advice, I replaced my fuel pump already and I have a metal fuel filter as well. I installed the pertronix and started right up. Took it for a cruise to the gas station put gas and for some reason it just cranked over didn't want to start. After a while it started up again and I was able to get it back home. Not sure if the gas is taking a while to head up to the carb or I need to change out the coil and spark plugs? I was thinking that the petronix is to strong for OG coil so I'm starting there.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 17, 2016 8:27 pm

just spray some carb cleaner down the carb when it stops,,,,,if it starts, you aint getting gas,,,,,something could be floating in the tank and gets sucked up to the pick up tube and cuts off the gas until it floats away again ,,,,pull the coil wire,,,,crank the engine,,,,see if you got spark,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:17 am