VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend Empty Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend

Post by sasktrini Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 am

There are a few of us on Vannin.com (okay, me) trying to organize a campout at Waterton National Park Friday July 31 to Monday Aug 3 (Heritage Day Long Weekend for Canadians). I'm trying to get an idea how many people would be interested in attending.

The site is private, outside the park boundary, so there will not be federal alcohol restrictions. Individual lots are about $25 nightly, but there is a group area for $125 nightly. Whether it's two or three nights, I cannot afford to front the cost of the group site alone as well. So I am wondering if there are a few people willing to help get this off the ground... say if there were three or four of us willing to each reserve a night, and then recover costs from our attendees. If we had say 20 vans / early pickups, we could be looking at less than $10 CAD nightly each. There are groups from Montana and the PNW that are interested, but I fear that if we don't pull it together north of the border, that this will be an afterthought. "If we build it, they will come". Maybe some established clubs down there may be able to support the cause, but so far I seem to stand alone.

This will be pretty loosely organized... no bands or anything like that, but maybe a planned cruise of a scenic highway in the sister park... Glacier in Montana. Potluck dinners... surely there will be some acoustic guitars along... not a wild party, but a real pleasant weekend where many of us virtual friends get to meet in person for the first time

I hope as well that a club or two may be born here, and we can create opporunities in Western Canada to travel to be with friends and enjoy our rides... go to cruise nights... work on projects... who knows!!

If you would like to make something happen, I need to develop a little ring of support (financial, organizational) just to create this... This Waterton Campout on the August Long Weekend could be a great time!

Thanks people.

Corey
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend Empty Re: Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend

Post by sasktrini Mon May 18, 2009 6:28 am

Nobody? Too bad... I think it's gonna be a great time, and I hoped some early owners would represent!

So far, I have about 8 vanners committed, so am going to proceed. It's going to turn out to be a very affordable weekend.

So Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, N and S Dakota, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba... where are you?
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend Empty Re: Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend

Post by sasktrini Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Okay everybody! I just got confirmation on the campground, for three nights (Friday jul 31 thru Sunday aug 2), we're in!

I will work out a few details to figure out costs. I'll probably take payments through paypal or snail mail. Anybody wishing to book a serviced lot will have to do so directly through the campground. More details to come.

Everybody get your passports ready so we can enjoy some fun on both sides of the border!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Well, there's only like a month and a half to go. Here's the plan!

Friday July 31st through Sunday Aug 2nd, Heritage Day Long Weekend
    Waterton Springs Campground

Theme: Rockin' the Rockies!
    Bring any musical instruments you want so we can entertain each other!

Pre-registration due by Friday, July 24th. You don't have to book for all three nights, but other vanners will tease you! Laughing

Price per day Pre-Reg Drive-In
    van and optional trailer, one adult $15.00 $20.00
    per extra person over 16 $10.00 $15.00
    per child over 10 - 16 $5.00 $10.00

Price for weekend
    booking a serviced lot directly from
    campground (to participate and
    hopefully get parting gifts) $5.00 $10.00

Bring your passports, one planned activity will be driving the "Going To The Sun" Highway in Glacier Park, Montana. This is not a big "planned" eVANt... bring your ideas what you would like to do / share with the group! Golf? Hike? Fish?

Statement from the campground management (not just to us, their rule): "We are a family campground. A "Quiet Time" from 10:30 PM to 8:00 AM is enforced. Violaters will be evicted." We will be on the far side of the park though, so our fireside chats should be fine!

Anyone got skills to make a flyer? Let's rock this! Watch for more details to come (flyer, GPS coordinates, what-not)!

Google Map to Waterton Springs Campground

I can take Paypal and snailmail! Personal cheques and Money Orders in Canadian Dollars! Send me PM with your request, we'll work out the total!

Anyone have any advice on how best to handle payments from the States, required info to provide to vanners attending, or anything else, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
    Corey
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 am

Beast_Lee on Vannin.com contributed his efforts to create a flyer... thanks man!

Waterton Park, Alberta August Long Weekend RockintheRockies2009
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:16 am

I "talked" to a vanner from Victoria, BC this morning, and realized that in my efforts to set rates to attend the camp-out, things got a little awry with my logic. For unserviced spots, the campground charges like $18 per day for two people, and don't really charge by the vehicle... my pre-reg estimate for the same comes out to $25 per day. So I will be adjusting these rates. In part, because I think we will have a small group, and I won't be alone in the group spot.

Rather than "van / trailer with one adult", we'll go with "van / trailer with up to two adults", $20 for pre-reg and $25 for drive-in. Extra adult and child rates will remain the same... these rates more directly reflect the costs of our stay.

Sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks, Corey

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:21 am

dang corey, i wish i could pull it off to where i was able to come, good job on organizing the 'evant'. glacier is the place to be, i was just up there last weekend!
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 pm

Okay... It's 3pm on Friday, and I could not leave Saskatoon yet!

I have to swap heads from my donor van so I can drive.

I've phoned the campground to let them know, and yet to still expect your arrival. When I get there Saturday, I'll straighten out what I owe them. Waiting for their call. If when you get there you want to call me, the campground has my phone number.

Have a good time tonight all! See you real soon.

Corey
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:29 pm

2:20 pm Saturday, still in Saskatoon and cancelling my trip Sad

It's about a 9 hour drive for me in a good vehicle. I only just got the head swap to run okay... still have brake lights and tires and packing... I'll show up as everybody's leaving Sad no Waterton for me.

I did just speak to Marlon from Takin'-It-EZ Econoline board, who is presently on a hike with Florida Jud! Ron and Donna from Victoria made it, and a couple from WA... Don't know if anybody else showed up throughout the day, but it seems like everybody is enjoying the beautiful sun and starry mountain skies!

So here's what I'll have to do... I'm going to ask the campground to charge their regular rates as if everybody rented individual unserviced lots... works out to a couple dollars less for everything, and I will cover the balance of the group area.
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423

Post by wacko Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:39 am

How was the weekend? Any pics?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:15 am

Yes I was hoping for pic's also
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:29 pm

I'll see if Marlon will let me share some of his when he gets to it... I'd be happy to share mine IF I had gotten there!

I'm gonna update my Grimstone thread to explain how my weekend went...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:33 am