VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

rookie question re: V8 conversion

rookie question re:  V8 conversion Empty rookie question re: V8 conversion

Post by Guest Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 pm

66 G10. Taking out the 6 and putting in a v8? How much for the engine? How much for the labor. I'm out of my league, as far as doing the job, but if I throw money at it, what am I looking at? Roughly..
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

rookie question re:  V8 conversion Empty Re: rookie question re: V8 conversion

Post by savage Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:08 am

Welcome HP. Wow that would be some major $$ to have somebody do???. One of the frist things to deal with is the doghouse, the 66 only came with 6, so the V 8 won't fit unless you cut holes in sides for exhaust manafolds(& to get to plugs) or use DH from 2nd gen. And you have to upgrad the cooling also. It can be done but very $$ Check out Digzs or G-mans van's in the members pics. They might be able to give you a rough idea of the hrs it takes?? Good Luck sound like a great project
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:47 am

I can't even give you a figure, because I havn't put to motor in yet. I can tell you this getting things ready is the hardest part. (doghouse) If you keep the stock doghouse and flare it out you should add a little room to the back of the doghouse also. Going to 2nd gen doghouse route may be easier, but you have to find a parts van.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:51 pm

You can make as difficult or as easy as you want to, think I going the difficult way. You can use the 66 doghouse but like its been said ,you'll have to bump out the sides around the exhaust manifolds and it doesnt hurt to have it removable(drillin or cuttin out spot welds) , radiator should be upgraded to a 3 core at least, in our climates Michigan and Canada one might get away with more than the guys out west. One of the biggest hurdles is the throttle linkage, several ways to go there. $$ wise?? I think the engine could be the biggest cost if you dont change trannys and such, radiator is what ? about 300-400$ , lots of time and parts scrounging. Just ask about anything , do the best we can...... If ya say all this really fast it sounds easy . Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:32 pm