VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

First E van questions

dbrat
    dbrat

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2015-10-02

First E van questions Empty First E van questions

Post by dbrat Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:12 am

Hey guys i am looking at picking up a 67 supervan with the 240 3 speed in it for a camping vehicle but it will also see some daily use too and i have a few newbie questions.
    Will these vans cruise at 65mph with out too much strain?
    I plan to upgrade wheels tires brakes but i am not familiar with the straight front axle suspension. If everything is fresh are the vans stable at interstate speeds?
    Also what fuel mileage are you guys averaging?
    And last are there any issues i should look out for on these vans? Thanks in advance.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

First E van questions Empty Re: First E van questions

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 am

1967 was the 1st year for the dual line master cylinder,,,,,,,,and that,,,,,,,is the best improvement that an Early Van owner could ever have,,,,,,,
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:18 am

I got my little 170 up to around 65-70 once. Poor thing was screaming and completely out of breath. It really depends on the rear end ratio and tire size. Mine had 7.5" 3.5:1 and around 25" wheels. I think some of the 240 vans had taller gears, 3:1 would be good for highway speeds and mileage, but probably a bit of a dog off the line. 3.25:1 may be an ok compromise if you're keeping the 3-spd and need to regularly drive @ 65. It should have a 9" rear end in it being a 240 van so you could swap out the chunk or ring and pinion if it's geared to low now. And yes, make sure all the steering parts, ie rod ends, pitman connections etc are in good shape, sway bar is installed and all bushings are good ect, wheel bearings, alignment and so on.

With 25.5" wheels and 3.5:1 rear ratio you'll be running 2998 RPM @ 65 mph

3.25:1 would be 2784 RPM, still kinda high but better

3:1 would be 2569 RPM, getting closer to acceptable long cruising rpm

With larger wheels those number would drop slightly

The redline for these inline 6's is around 4000 rpm stock
    Abitibi
    Abitibi

Number of posts : 479
    Registration date : 2014-06-24

Post by Abitibi Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:07 am

I just sold my Falcon with the 170 and I could easily cruise at 60mph (GPS confirmed) and could up to 65, a bit louder but still acceptable.

Now I have a 240 and it does the same speed but doesn't work as hard for sure. Only issue with the 240's is they seem to run hot, especially compared to the 170's or 200's. Maybe it's only mine which needs a good tuneup but I'd doubt it.

As for cruising comfort, if it's well maintained it will be nice and stable at those speed. I can cruise at 65 without holding the steering wheel for a while just like a regular car...

Go for it!

Cheers
    Mr. D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:38 pm