VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

clutch seems to slip

Van crazy

Number of posts : 533
    Registration date : 2011-08-04

clutch seems to slip Empty clutch seems to slip

Post by Van crazy Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Well I just got my 318 running right and now clutch slips when I nail it. Could it be adjusted wrong? How should I know when the clutch is no good.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

clutch seems to slip Empty Re: clutch seems to slip

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Well,,,,,when you step on the clutch, it pushes a rod that makes the clutch fork push the throw out bearing forward to press the release fingers in the clutch,,,,,,the bearing has to move forward about 1/8" to reach the fingers if it is adjusted correctly,,,,,,see if you can wiggle the clutch fork,,,,it should be kind of loose,,,,,,,an oil leak will also cause the clutch to slip,,,,,,but give a bunch of gas and try and take off in 2nd,,,,,if the engine speeds up, the clutch is probably worn out,,,
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Well thanks again Donivan.....You saved the day again the clutch was out of adjustment I had a hard pedal also. Feels like I barely have to push down now and no slip what so ever...... Thank You..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:07 pm

Clutches always need adjusting,,,,,,every time you step on it that causes it to slip and wear out a little,,,,,so the less time you spend pushing the clutch down, the longer it will last,,,,,you surely dont want to hold that clutch pedal down while you wait for the light to change, neutral is WAY better,,,,,and as the clutch disk wears, the fingers move towards the throw out bearing and you loose your free play,,,,,so you always need to keep the free play adjusted as time goes on,,,,,,if you run out of free play, the fingers start to release the clutch automatically,,,,,it starts slipping and eating itself,,,,,so you need to watch that clutch adjustment if you dont want to be buying a new clutch,,,,,,
    Van crazy

Post by Van crazy Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:41 pm

Got it. Thanks for the stop light tip.... Lots of things learned.... Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:42 pm