VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
m1dadio
AzDon
sparky
7 posters

first gen master cylinder reservoir filler hole cover ?

sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

first gen  master cylinder reservoir filler  hole cover ? Empty first gen master cylinder reservoir filler hole cover ?

Post by sparky Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:29 am

are these available anywhere  ? when it's cold outside that wind coming up thru that hole   

Last edited by sparky on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because....)
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

first gen  master cylinder reservoir filler  hole cover ? Empty Re: first gen master cylinder reservoir filler hole cover ?

Post by AzDon Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:18 pm

I'd be surprised if that is available....... You could either make something or..... get a screw-out deck-access-plate from a marine supply like West marine.......It's a beveled screw-down ring with threads inside and a screw-in lid.....They are intended as waterproof access ports for boats, so they have a rubber o-ring and are water tight... They are available in different sizes and are perfect for access anywhere you just need to get your hand ie; radiator cap, dipstick, etc......There are even versions with a clear lid if you have something where visual monitoring is a need....
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

first gen  master cylinder reservoir filler  hole cover ? Empty Re: first gen master cylinder reservoir filler hole cover ?

Post by m1dadio Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:53 pm

There are round covers like that used on three or so different GMs and Fords in the 50's and 60's.

I don't think anybody has tryed to find a match to the first gen.

M1D
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:21 am

Big thread on this over at VCVC, no one has found a replacement plug from any vintage car GM or other that fits perfect, just make one from something, a couple of pieces of 1/4" rubber sheet, a larger piece on top to fit the lip will work fine, a plastic paint can lid, plexiglass disc, the boat plug mentioned, etc...be creative. If its under carpet or a mat, no one will see it...There was talk of reproing them or a 3D printer making a plastic one but it went nowhere....
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:35 am

I used a round elec. box cover
    bletman
    bletman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by bletman Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:05 pm

first gen  master cylinder reservoir filler  hole cover ? Img_4610

I used sheet metal.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:56 pm

I remember the original plug on my 66 as being thick above the floor, a real pain to stuff into the hole and not easy to get out, unless you wanted it to stay in.... I can think of half a dozen better ways to securely cover the hole, several of which wouldn't require drilling any holes in the floor....
    samsvan
    samsvan

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post by samsvan Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:25 pm

I put some KY jelly on mine and now it slides in and out real nice...
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:50 am

bletman wrote: first gen  master cylinder reservoir filler  hole cover ? Img_4610

I used sheet metal.

Perfect, all ya need! Did you put a gasket under it?
    bletman
    bletman

Number of posts : 50
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by bletman Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:09 am

Yes - I cut a gasket from and old bicycle inner tube.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:24 am