VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Van Halen
RF Man
uante
vanny
66 Surf Wagon
Cdcracing
hbsurfdave
11 posters

Just got my van!

hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2015-05-01

Just got my van! Empty Just got my van!

Post by hbsurfdave Fri May 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Hello group! I just bought my 65 E van! Needs a lot of body and paint work. I got quotes yesterday all the way up to $12,000!!! No way I can afford that! I guess the best thing to do is keep it its original color. I think its Caribbean turquoise. I really like the Academy blue but looks like I can't afford it. I think Ill just go to Macco? Does anyone know where I can get replacement rear windows? driving it around yesterday was like and oven. I would love to have some louvered windows in the back to help with air flow.

Just got my van! IMG_0280
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Number of posts : 245
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Just got my van! Empty Re: Just got my van!

Post by Cdcracing Fri May 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Congrats on the van ! Mine is in the body shop in paris tx . Been there almost a year . I'm getting mine done for just at $6000 . On body shops to get yours done make sure they don't do insurance claims . Every shop that done insurance claims said it would take 2 to 3 yrs to do . Because insurance comes first . The inside front is being painted and the whole outside is being painted . Plus some panels replace do to rust . I went thru about 10 shops before I found this one . They guy that's doing it said he has the front , roof and one side primed . If I wasn't away from home working construction id be asking him to hurry up . It's going to be 2 tone base is almost gm rally green but a little darker and trim is pearl white . Know it's not the right ford colors but I wasn't trying to go back stock . Keep looking around you might find a cheaper painter . Congrats on your van .
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Post by Cdcracing Fri May 01, 2015 1:53 pm

There are some guys on here that has those windows for sale . Post in the wanted section .
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Post by hbsurfdave Fri May 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks for the response. Why has it been there so long, 1 year? Seems like a long time.
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Fri May 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Welcome and congrats.....give me a PM and I will pass along the name to a good painter that isn't super cheap but has a bunch of his own vans so he should treat you right. He is in Costa Mesa.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri May 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Congrats HB and welcome!!! Would love to see some more pics! Plenty of helpful folks and advise here.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Post by Cdcracing Fri May 01, 2015 7:37 pm

hbsurfdave wrote:Thanks for the response.  Why has it been there so long, 1 year?  Seems like a long time.  
    he had 2 vehicles in before mine . He got them out before Christmas and suppose to be working on mine . I think he works on others that are quick jobs and then falls back to mine . If mine wasn't all in pieces and I haven't gave him half the money up front Id take it to somebody else . I've seen some of the other vechicles he's done and they turned out awesome . But he's been taking a little to long . He said at first 6 to 8 weeks . Trying to be nice . But im getting tired.
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Post by hbsurfdave Fri May 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Just got my van! IMG_0280Just got my van! IMG_0263Just got my van! IMG_0265Just got my van! IMG_0268
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!
    I took my van to Maaco. When I took it in just before Christmas 2014 he said it would be about a month. I just got it back after the wet sanding last week. So almost 4 months although there was a 3 week period for the paint to cure before the wet sanding.
    I'm not too happy with the quality. The body shop guy did a pretty good job with the dents and things but the lacky sanding crew's job wasn't so hot. I'm pretty fed up with the whole experience now and have started thinking about it as an "interim" paint job. lol One day I'll get it done at a better place when I can afford it.
    That being said...I think if I would have shopped around I could have picked a better shop. My Girlfriend is in the same boat as I was in with her 68 Convertable Bug and we found a different Maaco shop that seems like it's ran by a much better more organized group of guys. Her Bug is in there now for paint.
    My biggest regret about my paint job is that I didn't remove the van from the shop just before paint and look at it really close myself. It was hard to see the sanding marks with quick visits to the shop, but now I know where all the mistakes are. If you go to Maaco, do a thorough inspection before the paint goes on and get the epoxy primer coat (my GF is) to hide as much as possible.
    Anyway, My van paint job is far from perfect, but it looks good from a distance and it's so much better than it was. I had a ton of small and big dents that have been removed.
    Here's a link to where mine was in the paint shop on my thread if you're interested.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t39211p150-brent-s-van-uante
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Sat May 02, 2015 3:44 am

This is why I started painting my own vehicles. If I had to wait 2 or 3 years for someone to do something, I would be psychotic. I got so sick of dealing with painters who thought they were gods or could only work when the stars were in the right alignment. Most good painters I've met act this way. Now that I've painted my last dozen cars or so myself, I have to ask----why did I wait so long? Hope things work out----good luck.
    Mike
    Van Halen
    Van Halen

Number of posts : 1785
    Registration date : 2010-04-30

Post by Van Halen Sat May 02, 2015 4:56 am

Shop around I got a killer paint job for $2600. Make friends share a few beers and you will find it.

Pics!!!?
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Sat May 02, 2015 6:33 am

I have some in stock, give me a call 843-327-7017
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Post by hbsurfdave Sat May 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks for all the help and advice! Im not sure how to post pics? I tried to drag and drop in this box and it didn't work. Then I tried the icon above and that didn't work?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sat May 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Welcome to VV. Lots of great help in here.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat May 02, 2015 7:18 pm

HB, here's a post about posting pictures. It's a little strange at first but once you've done it, it gets easier. Give it a try and hopefully we'll be able to see your new toy!

On the second image on the following thread, it says use default on the image size but you may want to choose 640 pixels instead so that the pictures don't get cut off. Good luck!

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t119-posting-pictures-using-forum-s-servimg?highlight=posting+pics

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Post by hbsurfdave Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Just got my van! 1
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Post by hbsurfdave Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 pm

GEEEEZZZZ
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sun May 03, 2015 1:49 pm

hbsurfdave wrote:Does anyone know where I can get replacement rear windows?  driving it around yesterday was like and oven.  I would love to have some louvered windows in the back to help with air flow.

If you drive with anything but solid rear windows, the exhaust gasses seem to creep in. The "pop-out" (hinged) windows found in the sides of the Falcon vans can be easily fitted into the rear doors. Unfortunately, one of the gaskets needed for these is not available new.
    hbsurfdave
    hbsurfdave

Post by hbsurfdave Sun May 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Hmmmm…Good point. I didn't think of that. It sure got hot in there the other day.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon May 04, 2015 3:33 am

Congrats on the Van and Welcome to VV... cheers ..I also have the same problem finding a "Good" paint and body shop in my area that wont take a year to finish it and was under 8k..!!!.. I have seen a few really nice "Maco" paint jobs and seen a lot not so nice you have to catch the right painter...Unless you install AC in your Van where I am your driving a oven on wheels.. I thought it was HOT inside of my 3rd gen Chevy with a "Big Block" until I drove my early Van past couple of summers. affraid ...I have found the "Satin" paint jobs to be cheaper and less maintenance and becoming more popular lately..Good Luck on your build..!!!... Smile

Post by hbsurfdave Mon May 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks Joe van for the response. Maybe if I line the doghouse with insulation that will help. I sure would like those pop out windows back there.

Update: I'm getting all the rust sandblasted for about $350 next week. If I ever figure out how to post a pic, I will. I followed the instructions but to no avail.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:47 am