VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

New distributor setup?

Vandalf
    Vandalf

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2015-03-26

New distributor setup? Empty New distributor setup?

Post by Vandalf Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:19 pm

When I got my van off the truck from Washington there was a box of parts in the back that I now recognize to be a Napa version of a dura spark II. Is there any way to test the system other than putting it in? It's definitely used, just don't want to waste a ton of time. Thanks!
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

New distributor setup? Empty Re: New distributor setup?

Post by Seth G Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:10 pm

I believe DSII's are magnetic pickup distributors, there's not much to go wrong with them other than the gear and bearings etc, afaik. It's the ignition box that goes out. A word of caution though if you are going to swap in a new distributor with it's gear into your motor. You need to look into precautions, maybe gear swap that are involved, so you don't f up your cam dist gear. At the very least give it a very generous coating of some good thick moly cam grease. The swap should be pretty straight forward otherwise. There are plenty of wiring diagrams online for switching for points to DSII. IIRC you can reuse your old coil if you don't want to upgrade it, but you will need either a DSII ignition box or you can mount a GM HEI 4 wire module to a heatsink and use that. Google is your friend. You can ditch the coil and the ballast resistor/or wire with the GM module.New distributor setup? Heidiagram

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:22 pm