VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding Empty Door frame photo without vent rubber molding

Post by rustytoolss Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Does anyone have/ or can take, a picture of the drivers/passengers front door vent window inner frame works.  What I want to know is , what the door frame looks like when the vent window rubber molding is OUT of the door frame.
    Does the side window channel at the top of the door continue all the way around/behind the vent window rubber molding.
     Does the rubber vent window tuck into a place that is similer  to the upper dor window channel track.
    Thinking of doing a single door window (no vent window). But only if it will be easy to install the glass channel all the way around the glass.
    I don't know any other way to ask this question.

Last edited by rustytoolss on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    66e100pu
    66e100pu

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2011-04-02

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding Empty Re: Door frame photo without vent rubber molding

Post by 66e100pu Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:06 am

I have a poor picture of a passenger side frame that might be of help.  But, to answer the question, yes the channel run is essentially the same throughout the frame.  The vent window frame fits into the channel like stationary door glass would.  To eliminate the vent window and go with a one piece side glass you have to cut out the small sheet metal support that goes between the inner door structure and the outer skin where the lower vent window pivot mounts to the door.  Problem is with the support removed, the inner door structure at the top where the 'whiskers' mount gets even weaker than it already was (will flex) and will eventually develop a crack.  To do it right, you have to mount a support bar (something like rectangle flat steel stock) in the inner door structure lip (where the inner 'whisker' seal mounts).   Easier said than done - there is very little room to work in that section of the door.  

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding 3-29-211
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding Empty Re: Door frame photo without vent rubber molding

Post by rustytoolss Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:04 am

That's what I wanted to see. Thanks for the information. I'm not sure that I will be doing this. But with the cost of vent window seals, it maybe cheaper, to do the one piece window. If anyone else has any better photos of the vent window frame track please post them. Thanks
    Scotts_A100

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2010-06-02

Post by Scotts_A100 Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:53 am

This is what I have that is handy. The first shows the track does follow the whole top of the door behind the vent window. The second photo shows the the bottom of the window opening where you can see the the door panels have a tab that overlap and are welded together to allow the top of the door panels not to flex.

BTW, the reason I took these was that I was welding up the holes from the wrong mirrors being used and the holes passed thru the vent window frame. I left and will use the stock mirror holes. Hope the pictures helps. Scott...

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_210

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_211
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:33 am

Those pictures are what I needed. Thanks, not sure if I will do the one piece widows. But lets me know what I maybe up against.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Scotts_A100 wrote:This is what I have that is handy. The first shows the track does follow the whole top of the door behind the vent window. The second photo shows the the bottom of the window opening where you can see the the door panels have a tab that overlap and are welded together to allow the top of the door panels not to flex.

BTW, the reason I took these was that I was welding up the holes from the wrong mirrors being used and the holes passed thru the vent window frame. I left and will use the stock mirror holes. Hope the pictures helps. Scott...

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_210

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_211

You don't happen to know the dimensions for the channel material ? or the door frame channel cavity dimemsions?  Thanks again for the pictures
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:03 pm

I can get more info tomorrow...
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks, at this point (driving season) I don't want to get into something that will make my a100 undriveable, just to measure door frame cavitys.
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Sorry but it turned out that I didn't do a very good job of planing my day today in which case I didn't get a chance to get the info. It's not a big effort just rolling the van out of the garage and opening the door to take a picture or two and a couple measurements. I'll get it done in the next day or two. Scott...
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks Scott, when ever you have time. Shawn
    Scotts_A100

Post by Scotts_A100 Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Here are the few pictures taken today. If you have questions let me know. Scott...

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_d10

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_d11

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_d12

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_d13

Door frame photo without vent rubber molding A100_d14
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks so much for the very detailed photos Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:48 pm