VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Historical or Antique plates issues with the law?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Historical or Antique plates  issues with the law? Empty Historical or Antique plates issues with the law?

Post by rustytoolss Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:55 am

I was thinking of getting Historical plate for my 64 A100 pickup. Once when I had a 68 charger I Had historical plate/ and YOM on the car. Drove to work, on the way home got stopped. Cop knew nothing about YOM plates, let me go. If I had the historical plate on the car it may not have happened. Just a note it was about midnight.
    So back to the plate question; have any of you had any issues / questioning when driving with historical plate ???
    After the deal with the charger..I bought standard plates to avoid problems.
    vanner68
    vanner68

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Historical or Antique plates  issues with the law? Empty Re: Historical or Antique plates issues with the law?

Post by vanner68 Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:52 am

Not sure about Ohio, but in Michigan YOM plates AND Historical plates are good only for parades, to and from club events, and 'testing'.

Driving to work is not allowed.

Driving at midnight is highly suspect.

In the end, it depends on the cop. I know several people who drive around on YOM plates with no problems.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Historical or Antique plates  issues with the law? Empty Re: Historical or Antique plates issues with the law?

Post by rustytoolss Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah I know about driving to work..did it anyway few times. But I think what really grabbed attention to me was the 1968 YOM plate. I actual had a copy of the law with me, which helped. The Cop had never come a crossed it. But did tell me That I was not to be driving to work with an Historical REG. After he stopped me I bought standard plates to avoid the problems.
    But I personally have a relative that has all of there 1980's rust buckets DD's driving on Ohio historical plates (completely breaking the law).
    I was just wondering if any of you guys had run into issues when driving on Ohio historical plates?
    I will probably just keep my standard plates!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 pm

Ohio is a lot easier than pa. scottie has been running ss/v for years with
    no problem, i'have 2 antique plates and never had any issues,
    the laws in pa are . driven under 5 thousand miles, club events cruises ,shows and so one, it's not a daily driver.
    you can take it to work to show, just not every day, the state reviews all cars/ vans that apply for the plate,But it is expected to look like factory original once you start changing things you are walking the fine line, and the state troopers said we will take care of those cars/ vans ect. the only real issue is the 6 volt battery, those cars can not be driven at night.

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by vanner68 Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Why not?

They drove them at night when they were new.

If you have 6 volt bulbs there should be minimal difference in light output.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Heck as I get older, I could use 110 volt eyes affraid
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 pm

we all know asking the state assholes a intelligent questions only gets you a stupid answer.

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Im same yet I am wired for = 2---20's!!!!!!!!!!! Here in wash state- most all steer away from Historacal plates- due to the prade crap!! Now what we do have is = "Collector plates" must be 30 years old (vehicle) and the lisence fee is same as for regular plates -except you get only 1 plate (rear) You never -again =NEVER have to renew or pay again!! and you can drive @ anytime!! You just cant recieve $$ for hauling or as such! Had my 3 sets now 10 years & NEVER Been Stopped!! cheers
    weirdbeard
    weirdbeard
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2374
    Registration date : 2014-04-15

Post by weirdbeard Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

In NJ you get Historic Plates or (QQ) one time registration fee, no inspections. You are suppose to be limited to use in parade, car show or educational outing. The last is the loophole, everything is considered educational when you driving one of these vans around. I never heard of anyone getting in trouble with these plates. I mean if your acting like an a** then you deserve a ticket no matter what but most times the cops just want to check out your ride anyway.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:Im same yet I am wired for = 2---20's!!!!!!!!!!! Here in wash state- most all steer away from Historacal plates- due to the prade crap!! Now what we do have is = "Collector plates" must be 30 years old (vehicle) and  the lisence fee is same as for regular plates -except you get only 1 plate (rear)  You never -again =NEVER have to renew or pay again!! and you can drive @ anytime!! You just cant  recieve $$ for hauling or as such! Had my 3 sets now 10 years & NEVER Been Stopped!! cheers

I just looked at the Fees at the Ohio BMV , and you have to pay an extra $5.00 for collector tags,  and you still have to renew every year
    , and pay every year!! Not much of a point to have them.
    Ohio Historical pay once good for 40-50 years don't remember..I'll be dead

Last edited by rustytoolss on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : info)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:02 pm