VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

135 Amp Alt.

stanyon
    stanyon

Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2013-08-29

135 Amp Alt. Empty 135 Amp Alt.

Post by stanyon Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:41 pm

Below is a picture of a 135 amp 3g ford alternator with the serpentine belt pulley. The two holes between the webbing are the easiest way of identifying these, the 90 amp will show four holes.

135 Amp Alt. Alt_s10

This again is a 135 amp 3g but with a 2V pulley to match up with my existing system. The 2V pulley came of a 78 Lincoln Zephyr which had a 4 cylinder engine but with air. From what I have read it seems that one belt is only good for about 80 amps before it starts to slip, so swap over the pulley for an easy fix. Anything that has been posted in error please feel free to correct.

135 Amp Alt. Alt_z10
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

135 Amp Alt. Empty Re: 135 Amp Alt.

Post by Seth G Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:02 pm

That's a good tip about 2 belts for high draws. My motor came with a bolt-on second groove on the balancer and this reminds me not to loose it. In case I need it! Very Happy I might look for one of those alternators.

I think it's more of a matter of draw. In practicality, if you never draw more than 70 or 80 amps you won't get the pull the 135 is capable of. But then again, the resistance @ the pulley of even a 40 or 50 amp load is really strong and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra belt. A good reason to be sure you've got adequately sized, short, quality wire and good clean contacts everywhere. The constant loads are the ones that will get you. No sense adding to the load parasitically

It'd be nice to be able to go serpentine. I think it's pretty complicated with the small sixes. Maybe someone knows otherwise though. It would be nice.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:59 am

I was the one posting about the single belt max at 80AMPS,,   HOWEVER, it also depends on the BELT WRAP on the pulley.  Personally I set mine up using the serpentine belt rather than two belts. Been posting about the 3G for a VERY long time also.  They make a 135, a 150 and a 200.  
     The whole idea is that it puts out 90 AMPS AT IDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  not with your foot in the gas pedal..... LOL
    Old Skool,,,,  off to work

135 Amp Alt. 100_1111

135 Amp Alt. 100_1112
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Old Skool wrote:I was the one posting about the single belt max at 80AMPS,,   HOWEVER, it also depends on the BELT WRAP on the pulley.  Personally I set mine up using the serpentine belt rather than two belts. Been posting about the 3G for a VERY long time also.  They make a 135, a 150 and a 200.  
     The whole idea is that it puts out 90 AMPS AT IDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  not with your foot in the gas pedal..... LOL
    Old Skool,,,,  off to work

135 Amp Alt. 100_1111

135 Amp Alt. 100_1112

Old Skool would you be interested in selling that nice chrome alt in the pic. I would love to put it on my new 67 Falcon!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:14 am

Sorry,,,  SOLD it a while back.  I DO see them at both the Pomona auto meet, Long Beach auto meet and recently at the big three in San Diego,,, I will get a price from the vendor the next time I see him.
     I believe I paid about $200 for it which wasnt too bad with the chrome added
    Old Skool
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks Old Skool, I do want to get one. Let me know how much you want to deliver it to Charleston SC 29412. If you ever need a part you don't have in stock for one of your customers, let me know. I'm always up for a little horse trading.
    Bruce
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2013-05-15

Post by BlueSteel Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Any suggestions regarding the dual pulley? Does that mean all my pulley's need to be dual? If so where can I get dual pulleys that'll work in my falcon. I just installed my Ford 3g Alt & Taurus electric fan, but when ever the fan activates the belt squeaks (only when the fan is running). I tightened the belt much as i could using a lever for that extra UMPH but it still squeaks. I imagine if I have a dual pulley or a thicker serpentine belt the load will be more evenly distributed.

Any thoughts?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:39 am

No,,,  that turned out to not be quite accurate,,,,,,  It is true that a single belt will stretch and work harder according to the load applied,,,,,,,,,,,,,HOWEVER you can get a single belt to grab as long as you have enough wrap on the belt as well as belt and pulley thickness of the belt, which translates to CONTACT AREA, HOWEVER remember that you are also putting a MUCH HIGHER LOAD onto one belt and the same idea as dual tires splitting the load versus a single wheel load.  
      I have never liked dual belts, and the so called MATCHED SETS that are sold and much prefer the idea of a single belt HOWEVER using a SERPENTINE TYPE as there are no issues with one belt stretching more than the other, etc, etc,,,,, The SERPENTINE belt was designed to offer more strength and get rid of that issue,,,, 
      HOWEVER,, pay attention:::::::::     On a small block Ford there are TWO circulation timing covers that can be used and they need to match the water pump.  In my conversions I use the SHORT NOSED MOTORSPORTS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,STANDARD ROTATION water pump and matching STANDARD ROTATION timing cover,,, THEY NEED TO MATCH!!  
      ALSO,,,,if a water pump is driven by the non grooved side of a SERPENTINE belt that means it is a REVERSE DIRECTION WATER PUMP AND MATCHING TIMING COVER,, if the water pump is driven by the GROOVED SIDE of a Serpentine belt that means it is the STANDARD ROTATION timing cover and matching pump...
     Dual pulleys directly replace the single pulley if you want to go dual belts,,
      On a recent build,,,  Early three bolt dampener and LACK OF SERPENTINE pulleys for that early of an engine with a three bolt dampener.  EASY Solution was to replace the stock dampener with an after market high performance unit that accepted either a three bolt pulley or a four bolt pulley,,, TOO EASY and now more selection of pulleys from people like Summit, Jegs, March, Billet Specialties, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,,,  
    vic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, late for work again,,,,,,,sorry if short

135 Amp Alt. Waterp10
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Aww man, i was hoping this would be a junkyard fix i.e. something cheaper than buying a $200 3rd party specialty item. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find anything else... but in the mean time... is this what you were referring to?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-8501-A50/?rtype=10
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:30 am

Not sure why someone would want to use that???   On my early 289 (bored out to 302) it originally had a long necked STANDARD rotation water pump and a three bolt dampener.  In order to be able to fit it in easier I simply purchased a Ford Motorsport SHORT nosed water pump and bolted in on. The ONLY differences in the timing covers was either REVERSE rotation (used when you use the smooth side of a serpentine belt) or a standard rotation timing cover. Timing covers at the swap meets usually in the range from $15 to $75, regardless of rotation.
      In order to be able to use standard serpentine pulleys from the bone yards (not saying standard rotation, duh)  I found that there were none that used four bolt dampeners,, (duh,, no serpentine belts used in 68) and so the easiest fix in order to not use expensive pulleys was to simply update the motor by changing over to an aftermarket high performance dampener. (which is what I posted?????),,,,,,, The high performance DAMPENER being able to use EITHER A THREE BOLT OR A FOUR BOLT PULLEY!!!
      This giving me the advantage of going to the bone yard and buying a pulley for $5 bucks!!
     Where did you come up with the idea of having to replace also the timing cover as a kit??????

IF YOU have a standard rotation engine, then simply purchase a short nosed STANDARD ROTATION  water pump and with that motor IF ITS A FOUR BOLT dampener (later year standard rotation small block Ford that already uses a four bolt dampener from the factory) then you dont have to purchase a dampener as it already uses a four bolt pattern. This means that you can then bolt on a four bolt serpentine pulley,,,,,,,,,
     ,,, IF you have a REVERSE ROTATION timing cover then purchase a REVERSE ROTATION short nosed water pump and bolt it on?>??? ANY reverse rotation small block will automatically have a four bolt dampener pattern as only the earlies used a three bolt pattern.... NOTE:   To make it more clear,, a reverse rotation pump uses the BACK of the belt and a standard rotation uses the grooved side of a serpentine belt and so make sure you match them up....................................!

The picture is showing a STANDARD ROTATION WATER pump and a FOUR BOLT dampener. There being a gazillion four bolt Serpentine pulleys for cheap..... 

Perhaps I am missing something???
    Vic
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Old Skool wrote:Not sure why someone would want to use that???...Where did you come up with the idea of having to replace also the timing cover as a kit??????

I did a google search on something you mentioned on from your previous comment, perhaps it was "SHORT NOSED MOTORSPORTS STANDARD ROTATION water pump + timing cover" and the Summit Racing link popped up.

I'm doing my best to keep up with ya'll but I don't have a grasp on the terms, for example you kept mentioning "damper" I have no idea what a dampener is... so when i google search "dampener" or "dampener car" a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff pops up, but I don't have the framework to know what is unrelated or not... my best guess is the dampener you're referring to is a 'harmonic balancer dampener'? yet this is different from a timing cover?

Old Skool wrote: Where did you come up with the idea of having to replace also the timing cover as a kit??????

Because you said this (obviously I am confused)

Old Skool wrote:On a small block Ford there are TWO circulation timing covers that can be used and they need to match the water pump. In my conversions I use the SHORT NOSED MOTORSPORTS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,STANDARD ROTATION water pump and matching STANDARD ROTATION timing cover,,, THEY NEED TO MATCH!!

(warning: frustrated rant)
    All i wanted to do was put an electric fan in my van to keep it cool, but this required a change to an alternator, but the desired alternator (Ford 3g) had a serpentine type pulley (i pulled it from a junk yard) and replaced it with another v-belt type pulley from which I pulled from the junk yard then I moved the radiator forward to allow for space for the fan, swapped, swapped out pulleys, installed the alternator, & fan controller unit.... and now these damn V-belts are either smoking up a storm or breaking (i went through 3 belts within 60 miles... but that's another topic i'll start up shortly).. but this is quickly becoming a 7-headed hydra (where you chop one head off & two more grow back in its place)...

My problem is compounded by the fact that when i go to O'Reillys or Autozone saying 'i need a shortnosed motorcraft water pump', as they will only respond with "what Make & Model" but If i was told them "I need a water pump from the 19XX Ford/Chevy *insert model name here*' or "i need this part number" then I can get the part i need.

I was just thinking if I converted the v-belts to a serpentine style belt it'll be less stressful for belt & me hahaha (as I was thinking the ford 3G alt maybe a bit much for the V-belt)

ohh yeah, i believe motor is standard rotation (as the belt goes around 3 pulleys, the Alt, water pump & whatever you call the one on the bottom).

Thanks for the help & guidance i was wanting to do post progress of my generator -> alternator conversion but the damn van is still giving me fits lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:43 pm