VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Boat seats???

gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Boat seats??? Empty Boat seats???

Post by gotdurt Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 am

I know I've seen pictures and discussion of boat seats in early vans, but I can't seem to find them via search...

I'm exploring alternative seating ideas for when both of my boys need to ride with me in the van (Mom isn't interested, lol). I have the OEM bench seat frame and mounting hardware, but don't want to invest $400-500 in something that will likely spend most of its time taking up valuable space in my garage (I use the van), plus it will be in its own way when I want to take the boys camping.

I then explored the idea of adding a single bucket, but creating an easily removable mount based on the existing bench mounts presented a new challenge, and it would still be bulkier than desired, and still not practical to drag in and out of the van...

Then I came across some folding boat seats online while searching for ideas and remembered seeing in some threads where people used them as the primary seats, and it seems like I saw where some were using them for secondary seats. I started looking at the various types and found some of these at my local Academy for $30:
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-raider-silver-series-low-back-boat-seat/pid-522356?color=Dark+Gray&N=842564528
    Boat seats??? 10193016
    I went and picked one up to study it and see if it would be something I could use. It would be light and easy to move, and small so it could possibly even be left in place most of the time. The new challenge would be anchoring seat belts, and of course, the seat itself, as I probably wouldn't use the existing floor mounts because they aren't in the ideal location, and there are only 2 near where the seat would be located.

Anyone here have any experience with this, or know where the threads are that discussed it?
    westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Boat seats??? Empty Re: Boat seats???

Post by westcoastvanner Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Have you tried "folding stadium seats"?
    gotdurt
    gotdurt

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2013-12-31

Post by gotdurt Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:47 am

westcoastvanner wrote:Have you tried "folding stadium seats"?
    I didn't think about those, would they be robust enough? I've never actually looked at one...
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:53 am

I wouldn't use boat seats or stadium seats in a moving vehicle. They are not strong enough to survive a crash.
    Nick
    Nick

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2010-08-20

Post by Nick Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:24 pm

I honestly would have to concur with econopoor. Those seats are just not robust enough to be safe in a vehicle. Good idea, I'm just not sure its the right application. Nick

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm