VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
No1rascal
SteelyVan
Lazarusvan
econopoor
vanny
VANagain
Vantasia
Joe Van
kookykrispy
Xelmon
Vanish
HandiVanMan
rfergnes
17 posters

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van?

rfergnes
    rfergnes

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2013-09-15

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Empty Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van?

Post by rfergnes Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Can anyone tell me the difference between the '65 GMC and '65 Chevy Vans? Body Style? Engine?

The one I'm looking at is a GMC w/ auto transmission, in-line 6.

Thanks
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Empty Re: Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van?

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:10 pm

No difference in them. They were both made by General Motors and one was cheaper than the other one. I think that the GMC was thr cheaper of the two.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Empty Re: Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van?

Post by Vanish Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

The only Difference that I can see between the Two is the two extra washers on the emblems !!!!!

Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Post by Xelmon Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 pm

2nd gens are the same, they are carbon copies of each other.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:26 am

rfergnes wrote:Can anyone tell me the difference between the '65 GMC and '65 Chevy Vans? Body Style? Engine?

The one I'm looking at is a GMC w/ auto transmission, in-line 6.

Thanks

Differences: Emblems, horn button, vin plate, data plate. GMC has no holes for 'chevrolet' script in rear doors.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 am

The GMC vans seem to be a little rarer than the Chevrolet vans!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:48 am

Maby I am wrong or correct me..!!!.. But I always thought GMC was a better built truck...I have 2 trucks that were made in Canada my 1975 van & my 2003 pickup... scratch

Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:51 am

HandiVanMan wrote:The GMC vans seem to be a little rarer than the Chevrolet vans!
    I do see a "LOT" less early GMC van's than I see Chevy van's and I am searching every day for them..!!!.. Smile

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:59 am

Virtually identical except as noted by KK.  GMC were sold at separate truck dealers in all the same versions as the Chevy models.  Back in that day, urban legend said that GMC trucks were built better and in general, were heavier duty that comparible Chevy models, but that was all hype to keep the GMC division profitable, IMHO, they were the same unless you were buying a COE dump truck, but the light duty stuff, vans, pickups and El Caminos/Diablos were the same, every book I've read says the same....
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:15 am

I would say "Myth Solved" they are the same except the badges,,emblems...and in some case grills,,,..."Good Call"..Kooky Krispy..!!!.. Very Happy

Last edited by Joe Van on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:38 am

This paragraph from this article link sums it up nicely:
    Starting in 1920, GMC and Chevrolet trucks are virtually identical except for the grilles and nameplates, though their differences have varied over the years. Chevrolet trucks were marketed towards private ownership, while GMC was focused towards commercial uses. New Chevrolet vehicles are sold exclusively at Chevrolet dealerships, GMC light trucks have recently been made available to Buick and Cadillac dealerships with previous Pontiac and Oldsmobile dealerships also having similar arrangements, and separate franchises exist for medium and light-duty commercial models as well. This crossover allowed GM dealers that did not sell Chevrolets to offer full lineups of both cars and trucks by offering GMC's trucks alongside "non-truck" divisions. Between 1962 and 1972, most GMC vehicles were equipped with quad-headlights, while their Chevrolet clones were equipped with dual-headlights. In 1973, with GM’s introduction of the new "rounded line" series trucks, GMC and Chevrolet trucks became even more similar, ending production of GMC’s quad-headlight models, and setting the standard for the Chevrolet/GMC line of trucks for over thirty years. During this period, the companies' sister models (Silverado/Sierra, Blazer/Jimmy, Tahoe/Yukon, etc.) shared everything except for trims and prices. GM has recently begun a divergence in design between the two lines with the 2007 model Silverados and Sierras, which have some differences in sheet metal and style.[citation needed]

Although they didn't make a quad headlight version of the vans! Its funny though because one would think that 95% of the vans were marketed towards commercial ownership regardless of nameplate, except for the few full window/seat models....
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1048
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:38 pm

I have often thought that the GMC versions of our vans should have had four headlights, like the GMC pickups. This discussion encouraged me to finally mock one up. It works really well on the 2nd Gen! I used a photo of Harry's 70 Chevy van:

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-qu10
    (click to see larger image)

I took the headlight bezels from the 60-66 GMC pickup grill and flipped them--put the left on the right and the right on the left. Same with the blinkers. (We know GM liked to borrow from the older trucks to find parts for their vans.) Now that I've seen it this way, I think I like it better than the regular way! Kind of classy, like the 60's Firebirds vs Camaros.

Okay, now who's going to do this to their van in real life?! (Of course I was able to cheat and make everything fit just right in Photoshop.) I want to try a 1st Gen next, but that will be trickier...

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-tr10
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14778
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:28 am

Cool idea Rich! Gives it some extra character.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:00 am

I like it a lot it gives the 2nd Gen's a better look how doable is it..???..I think it would look good on the Econo's also.. Very Happy .

Post by VANagain Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:13 pm

I saw several of these GMC truck grills for sale at the Big 3 swap meet last month. It would have been nice to borrow one and hold it up to a 2nd Gen to see well the headlight sections would line up.

To do this you'd have to do some patching where the actual grill part was cut away from the headlight section. And, as you can see here, you'd have to patch the grill where the stock blinkers were removed.

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-qu11

Here's the stock blinkers moved inward so they're not covered by the extra headlights. I don't like it as much.  

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-qu12

I also tried putting the GMC blinkers up above the headlights, like they are on the pickup, but that looked wrong. Like eyebrows!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:37 am

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-qu12That looks "Really" good..!!!..Sure would be nice if we could get a metal fab guy to make up some of the duel head-lite grill inserts for the 2nd gen's.. I bet they would sell the heck out of them..!!!..Very Happy ..VANagain can you post a picture with the front of two 2nd gens parked side by side one with a stock set up and one with the duel headlite set up for comparison....Just for kicks... It gives the 2nd gens a whole different look..Smile

Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:14 am

Don't forget the stock headlights are 7" in diameter and the GMC pickup lights are 5 3/4" in diameter. They may not fit as well as photoshop makes them fit.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:45 pm

That's why I posted that see-thru close-up, so you can see I did factor in the difference in headlight sizes. At first I started out by just adding a copy of the original headlights before I remembered that the quads are always the smaller ones.

To actually do this, you would have to be willing to cut up the grill and a bit of where the headlight mounts. And as I'm sure you all know, that grill is part of the whole nose, not a removable piece.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:50 am

It was a nice thought ...I did not consider the size of the headlights from a single to a duel set up or think about the heater box on the right side inside either...I know the grill is not removable on a 1st gen.. I was just not sure on the 2nd gen's the way its painted you would think the white part was removable... I think it gives the 2nd gen's a tougher/meaner  look since the headlines are mounted so low on them. ..Doesn't hurt to dream tho.. Smile ...

Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:15 am

I think it's a great look. Would be sharp. The key factor is the outside diameter of the GMC bezel. It would have to be almost exact to the bars on the Chevy grill for it all to line up right. When I first looked at this post your first picture, the ghost picture was just a black X. I didn't see it. It shows now. I'd like to try this. Too bad I don't have any sec gens still here. I think it could be done. I had a 67 Handi Van that would have been perfect for this.
    Lazarusvan
    Lazarusvan

Number of posts : 1293
    Registration date : 2011-02-22

Post by Lazarusvan Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:29 pm

VANagain wrote:I have often thought that the GMC versions of our vans should have had four headlights, like the GMC pickups. This discussion encouraged me to finally mock one up. It works really well on the 2nd Gen! I used a photo of Harry's 70 Chevy van:

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-qu10
    (click to see larger image)

I took the headlight bezels from the 60-66 GMC pickup grill and flipped them--put the left on the right and the right on the left. Same with the blinkers. (We know GM liked to borrow from the older trucks to find parts for their vans.) Now that I've seen it this way, I think I like it better than the regular way! Kind of classy, like the 60's Firebirds vs Camaros.

Okay, now who's going to do this to their van in real life?! (Of course I was able to cheat and make everything fit just right in Photoshop.) I want to try a 1st Gen next, but that will be trickier...

Difference between a '65 Chevy van and the '65 GMC Van? Gmc-tr10

Wow. This looks great. That second headlight adds a ton of character to the Second Gen which I've always felt lacked the charm of the first gen headlights. Never loved the lower placement of the headlights comparatively. The double headlights really give it a powerful look.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Now, we need to find a GMC grill to measure. I was thinking, there must be a Chevy/GMC web site like our van forum. We could post on their forum, asking for some specific measurements. Mainly, the height of the headlight section.
    SteelyVan
    SteelyVan

Number of posts : 112
    Registration date : 2009-08-14

Post by SteelyVan Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:31 am

There are many new styles of 7" headlights with turn signals built-in too. No need to relocate original blinkers.

http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=headwinds01&Product_Code=8-9722LEDWTAP&Category_Code=
    No1rascal
    No1rascal

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2013-02-19

Post by No1rascal Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 am

Here is a site that u might find useful:
    http://6066gmcguy.com/
    http://6066gmcguy.com/forum

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:30 am