VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Doghouse Mods

61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Doghouse Mods Empty Doghouse Mods

Post by 61econoline Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Making room for the 289.Doghouse Mods Wp_20113
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Doghouse Mods Empty Re: Doghouse Mods

Post by Old Skool Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Your very close if not right on the money.  I cut my boxes 32" long and mount the front floor flange of it directly over the cross brace spot welded in for the radiator  support bar. For the 351's I make the boxes  9" tall. 
      Another tip,,,,,,,  Use 5/16th x 1" wide metal strips around the hole area that the boxes will bolt down onto.  This way the flange will bolt down onto something that is the same top height of the rest of the ridges without bending it all up!!!! Give it a flat surface that is the same height as those ridges.
     I drill a few plug weld holes in between the bolting holes and then plug weld it down like a picture frame. Drill the mounting holes and tack weld 5/16th nuts on the under side at the same time. At the ribs that are sticking up I cut them and then make that area flat in order to allow the new metal strip to lay flush.
      Here is a pic to help explain it  a little bit better. The cylinder heads are staggered of course but if you start the front flange directly over the flange for that radiator bulkhead it will also give that area strong point to bolt down onto. 
    Vic..

Doghouse Mods 100_1129

Doghouse Mods 100_1222

Doghouse Mods 100_1223
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Doghouse Mods Empty pics

Post by 61econoline Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm

vic,thanks for the pictures.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 am

I modified my box also...pretty much the same way as Vic.
    I also cut in an exhaust port to the bed with a fan, (because I have a pickup).

For some reason, with a Taurus 2 speed fan, the engine was still running hot at highway speeds.  
    It would cool down just fine at side road speeds under 50 mph.
    Here in Jersey if you have to drive at 50 mph all day you might as well walk.
    So, that led me to believe there was an air flow problem at high speeds.

So, I've installed a Dodge doghouse. It is a lot wider and taller.  
    I've cut out a lot more floor than just at the header area.
    I'll be putting the seats back in for a test drive before I put the carpet back.

Many guys build that air tunnel when they go to the V8.
    Some have built scoops.

I may have to also..

But before I start to cut up the floor again..
    I'm going to try a remote fan cooled trans fluid cooler, since I have an automatic.
    I have the parts from Jegs just need the inline 180 degree temp sensor.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 am

To run at 50 mph is ridiculous at best.  You might as well have the 144 with 4:11 gears in it,, LOL

Curious as to WHY the Taurus setup is not working for you.  Did you change over the alternator to one that will let it run a full CFM rating??? If the alternator is not putting out enough then the fan will not work at its best either? How many core radiator do you have (obviously a 240),,,  Do you have the belly pan on and is it sealed??? The 3G alternator puts out 90 amps at idle and either the 135 or 150 at stock and even a 200 if you want one.
    I have the remains of a 67 pickup here that someone else had don't a hack job to the back of the cab also,,  what a hack job and looks terrible.  IMO,, you can get the pickup to run cool without doing that.  
     I have two Dodge doghouses here for sale if anyone is interested, complete units. By far the best unit to use is the Chevy cross flow radiator and it will cool anything. Its larger and goes completely across the front of the truck but needs also the Chevy doghouse which is scarce at best.
     I first  came up with the remote fan cooled trans cooler about 20 years ago and have installed it in many trucks and cars since then, IT WORKS on any vehicle but even more important on ours with a doghouse issue in the 1st place. Don't know why people don't or didn't try it in the 1st place??? The torque converter works by slipping and slipping causes heat,  which added to a compromised cooling setup in the start doesn't make much sense to me.
    Sounds perhaps like we are getting back to a situation of where a person is in traffic, with his heater going so as to help the cooling load on the radiator and his foot on the gas pedal to keep the RPM up so that the alternator can put out its maximum of 40 amps?????????????   LOL
     IMO,,,, run the 3G alternator, the belly pan, open up the doghouse under the seats, a 4 row copper 240 type radiator with the 3G alternator and the remote fan cooled transmission cooler. That would step a person up to a stock late model F series truck from the factory.....
     As far as the thermostat for the trans cooler I drill and tap the top of the oil filter holder to mount it and run it hot all the time so that it will continue to cool all of the fluid in the ALUMINUM transmission lines.....
    vic

Doghouse Mods 02911

Doghouse Mods 100_0517

Doghouse Mods 100_1225]]

Doghouse Mods 100_1226]]

Doghouse Mods 100_1227

Doghouse Mods 100_1133

Doghouse Mods Img_0910

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:38 am