VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Best way to a reliable driver?

jersey joe
    jersey joe

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2014-12-03

Best way to a reliable driver? Empty Best way to a reliable driver?

Post by jersey joe Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:23 pm

So i'm looking for the best bang for my buck with my 240 auto in my 67 Super van.

I'm thinking electronic ignition, need suggestions, and maybe a K&N filter?

Also, previous owner ran the exhaust out the side but i'm thinking of changing that and adding a nice sounding muffler.
    Suggestions on that would also be appreciated.

All in all i'm just looking to make her as reliable and economical as possible with a nice little exhaust rumble.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Best way to a reliable driver? Empty Re: Best way to a reliable driver?

Post by vanny Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:51 pm

If you're going with the electronic ignition, here's a recent thread that has excellent information on how they work and how to install. https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t45263-installing-the-pertronix-ignitor-ii-and-flamethrower-coil?highlight=pertronix

Also, if you want reliability, one of the most important things to do is make sure the brakes are up to snuff. These vehicles with being as old as they are, unless they've already been upgraded, can have issues with brake lines being worn out(rubber ones) or rusted (metal ones). Since it's a 67, it should have the dual master cylinder, which is good. However, you don't want to find out the hard way that you've got leaks or bad brakes. The life you could be saving could be your own.
     Little exhaust rumble is good but safety is the main concern with these classics. You might also want to check out the wiring because that can become brittle over the years and could become a fire hazard if not addressed. You might want to invest in a Fire extinguisher and place it somewhere handy. It's cheap insurance that we hope no one has to use but it's nice to have just-in-case!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jersey joe
    jersey joe

Post by jersey joe Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the advice Vanny.
    I got lucky in that previous owner was a manager at NAPA and first thing he did was replace all the brake hardware and installed new lines.

Being a van owning newbie I came to find out that no one makes a replacement master for the 67, nor do they make a rebuild kit, i'm told.
    The previous owner ordered an older single res master which I installed.

I would like suggestions on a nice sounding muffler for the 240. All that keeps popping into my head is CHERRY BOMB Twisted Evil
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:05 pm

after running my early 7000 plus miles this summer, and having no problems, I have just been reassured that these vehicles can and are way more reliable than a new car.
    no computers or other unnecessary things on them to get in the way or fail. vehicles were made way better back before the big 3 decided to make junk that wears out in a couple years. '
    keep the brakes good, keep the plugs and wires good. an electronic ignition like a pertronix is the only electronic part I trust on any of my old cars engines. change the oil and use a zinc additive for protection.
    they built reliability into cars back then. unlike the failure they build in now.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Old Skool is an Econoline Guru on this site and if you read this thread you can see that he sells Disc brake conversion kits as well as resleeved dual master cylinders. The search tab at the top of each screen is a good way to find information about most any topic. Just type in a keyword and search. If you want to contact Vic, you can PM him if you're interested in a dual master. He's a busy guy but super knowledgeable!!! Click on the down-arrow next to his avatar and choose PM to send a private message.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t34111-dual-master-cylinders-school-me?highlight=dual

Want to find suggestions on mufflers with good sound, just click on the search tab, type in muffler and see what you get. Bet you'll find quite a bit. I like the MagnaFlow sound myself!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    jersey joe
    jersey joe

Post by jersey joe Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate the guidance.
    67Econolized
    67Econolized

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2014-09-21

Post by 67Econolized Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:35 am

You can put electronics in these vans?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:07 pm