VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
FIZGIG
66 Surf Wagon
Twinpilot001
uante
BlueSteel
9 posters

Roof Racks?

BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2013-05-15

Roof Racks?  Empty Roof Racks?

Post by BlueSteel Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:29 am

The wifey & I go urban camping in our van; an endeavor which is accompanied with surfing as well. We've been sleeping in the Van with our surfboards in the van with us, but its kind of a hassle. Anyone know of roof racks for vintage vans? I'll consider anything, but might have my heart set on the basket racks any combination of metal tubing with or w/o wood would be great... were there ever vintage roof racks for these vans (i see them on VWs a lot)?

Secondly, our rain gutters on the van are rusting away too.... any suggestions on how to repair/replace this problem? The previous owner fill them gutters with the caulk/putty stuff.... anywho, thought i'd explore options for this problem as well.

Thanks guys!!!

J0sh
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Roof Racks?  Empty Re: Roof Racks?

Post by uante Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey Josh,
    Here's a link to the roof rack topic. I toyed with the idea of a classic station wagon roof rack myself. Went to the junkyard and saw several that would have worked. I liked the Grand Torino one a lot like in this picture of a van that sold recently on ebay. Anyway I decided against a roof rack at this time, but I can see having one especially with surfing.

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t20762-got-a-roof-rackanyone-else-sport-a-rack

Roof Racks?  Screen13
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:13 pm

The roof racks that are on the gen 3 chev / gmc vans are good also. Im installing one on mine & they usually have a TV antanna inside them if from a Conversion van!! cheers
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:24 pm

My wife and I hang our boards from the ceiling inside our Falcon using a homemade hanging system. Let me know if you want details or pics.
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:27 pm

66 Surf Wagon wrote:My wife and I hang our boards from the ceiling inside our Falcon using a homemade hanging system. Let me know if you want details or pics.

I'd entertain the internal storage but this last trip we had 6 boards, a log, a fish & a potato-chip each... but if we're just logging at SanOs then the internal storage would totally work.
    66 Surf Wagon
    66 Surf Wagon

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2012-09-24

Post by 66 Surf Wagon Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:32 pm

We can fit 3 boards on each side of the roof inside. Normally with a 9'6", 9'0", and two shortboards we can still fit passengers....kinda Smile
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:04 am

Roof Racks?  Images10

Here is something I'm looking to put on my truck.
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 pm

@FIZGIG yeah thats sorta what I'm looking foor, i love the astethic of the wood on metal. Addtionally, I like the size of that for a van... I don't need a full roof rack either... though that may be a bit long for my needs as I have a couple boards sub 6ft.... so maybe 48in would be good... but I like everything those racks are doing (functionality, aesthetic etc)

How do they attach to the roof? they clip to the gutters? They bolted in through the roof?

Any tips on fixing rust rotted gutters?
    FIZGIG
    FIZGIG

Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2014-01-23

Post by FIZGIG Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 am

I'm hunting on a company that makes them for the Vanagon Transport. I will get some measurements from a vanagon to see how close they are and I will send off measurements from my 61 Economy PU and get one made. I will post any info I get.
    Semberton
    Semberton

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2014-11-14

Post by Semberton Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:14 pm

I bought a ladder rack for my 63 from pep boys for 70 bucks. It's two pieces clips to the gutters put on my dakine pads and good to go. All my families boards including my wife's sup on top and free room inside.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:51 am

Here is me a hundred years ago with a U-shaped rack on my very first Econoline.  Yes, that is a roof vent right in the middle of the rack area.  The rack is insulated from the van roof and doubles as a TV antenna.  Fake windows too! I was quite creative back then.

Roof Racks?  RAT-01-85
    mik
    mik

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2012-04-14

Post by mik Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:19 pm

This company makes older style roof racks and they are in your hood.

http://www.vintagefoundry.com

Also you can attach anything to these
    http://www.rack-it.com/multi-purpose-roof-racks/quik-n-easy-raingutter-mounts-c365/
    I use them on my 73 e100

uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 am

Fake windows! lol
    Cool Cool

I'm going to be putting fake stuff in my van too...eventually
    'fish
    'fish

Number of posts : 222
    Registration date : 2011-12-27

Post by 'fish Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10 am

mik wrote:This company makes older style roof racks and they are in your hood.

http://www.vintagefoundry.com

Also you can attach anything to these
    http://www.rack-it.com/multi-purpose-roof-racks/quik-n-easy-raingutter-mounts-c365/
    I use them on my 73  e100

375.00 Are they insane???

I have a good story about those exact type of racks I think I might have paid maybe 40.00 for a new pair in the mid seventies and that was a lot of money to me then, I had a Ford LTD that was the neighborhood surf vehicle at that time I lived in costa Mesa CA and we all piled in and went to Newport or Huntington in it pretty much daily. Back then people used to steal those racks all the time, so I being the master mechanic I am (lol not back then I was a twenty year old with a pr of vise grips) I tightened down the nits as tight as possible then made them round, a few blobs of epoxy glues and they were theft proof. This car was huge easily holding six or seven of us for the few blocks to the back daily, over the years of sitting at the beach the salt spray etc. it got small holes pretty much through out the front top and over the body but it always ran so we didn't care, one day some time in 85  I think we decided to head down to Trestles back then to use that was a big surf trip, four of us strapped down our favorite board and headed on down the 5 to "the secret break" (you had to sneak past the SS guards that watched Nixon property) anyway after a fantastic day of surfing we all headed back exhausted, piled the boards on the rack and charged onto the freeway, there was a big argument weather to stop at Tommys or La Tiendita, then we hear it, this huge scraping, tearing, screeching sound, we all look at each other then out the rear  to see all the boards getting about 20 feet of air stalling and hitting the freeway at about 50mph, we pull over and go back to collect the chips that used to be our custom boards, the supports had rusted through over the years of being permanently attached to the surf machine, it was a very very quiet ride home the rest of the way.
    We later used a torch to cut the roof off the car and make it a convertible, the boards were then put in the trunk and hung out the back...

Most of us use ladder racks as the "surfboard racks" have gotten way too expensive, but for the vintage look those racks are it almost exactly like the they were in the 70s I think they offered a green or black vinyl coating.
    Unless were going into Mexico we always leave the boards on top of the car, never had a person even look at them funny, Im not too worried about them getting stolen.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 pm

a little ="Spendy" affraid

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:15 am